Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   fish donkbets my flush on the turn...was I correct to raise? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=326552)

lautzutao 08-31-2005 05:35 AM

fish donkbets my flush on the turn...was I correct to raise?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises ??</font>

bjarne 08-31-2005 05:43 AM

Re: fish donkbets my flush on the turn...was I correct to raise?

I'd raise this one everytime.

Just because SB bets doesn't mean he has a higher flush.
I usually continue to bet myself in this situation if I have a
decent holding. Besides if he has a lone [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or trips you wan't to make him pay as much as possible (although you can't force him to make an error) to draw out on you.

If reraised, call down.

-Edit- If your lucky and SB doesn't have a spade you may even get the button to fold a small [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] thinking he's drawing dead.

britspin 08-31-2005 05:46 AM

I'd raise. Given his preflop play the only hands he's likely to hold that beat you are AK/AQ/KQs or JJ (or poss 77 (there's a tiny chance he's playing 99, but not worth worrying about.) Obviously he could be playing any AA/KK/QQ/AJ or any single Ace of spades too, so worth a raise. If he 3-bets, I call though, given the board has paired and you've got a mini flush.

MATT111 08-31-2005 06:02 AM

I fold this preflop most of the time.
Flop raise is read-dependend.
Raise the turn.

marchron 08-31-2005 06:03 AM

Grunching . . .

Uh, fold preflop? You have suited connectors, but your hand stinks. Seriously. The blind raising is your worst nightmare, 'cause now you're in for two bets with this piece-of-crap hand.

On the flop you . . . raised?? Well, you got three callers so it's worth it.

You've made your flush on the turn. Now, raising is essential. You don't want either one of them to draw to a bigger flush or a boat without paying dearly for the privelege.

Innocentius 08-31-2005 06:10 AM

Yes, raise the turn. The preflop call and the flop raise might be questionable, but raising the turn is not.

You say SB is a fish and the bet is a donkbet so what is there to hesitate about? Your only worry is the button, who coldcalled on the flop. Might have a bigger flush.

The SB, if he really is a fish, likely has AA, KK, or QQ. He will pay you off and spend the next month ranting about his bad beat.

MATT111 08-31-2005 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On the flop you . . . raised?? Well, you got three callers so it's worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don`t do it against an aggressive SB that might 3-bet TP.

@bsolute_luck 08-31-2005 06:32 PM

you people need to rethink your preflop play if you're folding that.

maraden 08-31-2005 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you people need to rethink your preflop play if you're folding that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokerroom stats give it a -.13 EV for average players. You good players can make money with it and it is probably a lot of fun too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So I can see it would be a good way to sharpen your post flop play. Like raising this flop with at best a 30% equity to buy the button, as a free card play and to get more bets in if you hit the turn and the action dries up. Neh?

SlantNGo 08-31-2005 10:34 PM

As standard as it gets, especially with a low flush, because you want Button to pay 2 BB to see the river with a higher spade.