Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What should my next purchase be? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=322243)

Farfenugen 08-24-2005 09:26 PM

What should my next purchase be?

I have:

HOH 1&2
SSHE
Super System
WLLHE

Just ordered:

Hold'em for Advanced Players
Caro's Book of Tells

I recently came into a good bit of money (for a college student) and I'm trying to really flesh out my poker library before I end up spending all my money on bar tabs. I listed above what I already own or have ordered. I enjoy poker books quite a bit and while I only have the bankroll for $5 online Sit&Go's and 3/6 B&M hold'em, I am definitely looking to move up limits once I get into the real world with a real job. I have no interest in NL ring games though.

Is there anything I should really add to my poker book library? How is 2+2's seven card stud book?

SNOWBALL138 08-24-2005 09:44 PM

Re: What should my next purchase be?

[ QUOTE ]
while I only have the bankroll for $5 online Sit&Go's and 3/6 B&M hold'em, I am definitely looking to move up limits once I get into the real world with a real job. I have no interest in NL ring games though.

[/ QUOTE ]

A winning player would need maybe 200 dollars for 5 dollar SNGs and maybe about two thousand for 3/6 limit hold em.

In other words, you should either read Professional Poker by Mark Blade, or Gambling theory and other topics by Mason Malmuth. If you haven't read the theory of poker then get that first though.

rgschackelford 08-25-2005 07:08 AM

Honestly, it depends. Doesn't it always depend?

If you're going to play online poker, only, then set aside Caro's Book of Tells. If you're going to play in the small limits, set Super/System aside until you move up big time. Aside from that, for tourneys, I'd suggest Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, by Sklansky; and for cash games, I'm suggesting Theory of Poker, also by Sklansky.

I just got King Yao's book "Weighing the Odds", and I don't know if it's any good, but I'll soon find out. That might be worth a purchase, but ask some other people here at 2+2. Good luck!

Rusty G.

ChuckyB 08-25-2005 07:28 PM

Theory of Poker...no question.

And I liked "Killer Poker". It's more about your mental approach to the game. "Killer Poker Online" helped me get started playing online.

08-25-2005 07:48 PM

For Tournaments, the must have is Final Table Poker with Phil Gordon.

KramerTM 08-25-2005 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A winning player would need maybe 200 dollars for 5 dollar SNGs and maybe about two thousand for 3/6 limit hold em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good catch.

I would pick up Sklansky on Poker... it's a good read.

08-26-2005 05:15 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
For Tournaments, the must have is Final Table Poker with Phil Gordon.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does it teach me, what I not can learn from HoH1&amp;HoH2?

jrz1972 08-26-2005 09:14 AM

I'd recommend Theory of Poker (a must-read), King Yao's book ("Weighing the odds in holdem" or somesuch), and Inside the Poker Mind.

Skalnsky's TPFAP is one you might also consider, although there really isn't all that much in there that isn't in HOH. His presentation of the "gap concept" is more explicit than Harrington's, though, so it's still a worthwhile purchase but I don't think I'd recommend it before the others.