Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Worst downswing EVER?!!?!? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=321990)

baronzeus 08-24-2005 02:40 PM

Worst downswing EVER?!!?!?

Just kidding [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thought it would be funny.

Anyhow, here's a weird one against an LPP.

Note that I have been raising an exceptionally high percentage of the time this session. I think the people at the table have noticed it, as someone capped me preflop with A9o after I 3bet with AKo.

How is this line? Who doesn't show this down?

I HATE my preflop cap. A lot.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

ggbman 08-24-2005 02:41 PM

Re: Worst downswing EVER?!!?!?

Given that he completed and then 3 bet preflop, then check-raised the flop into your cap, its hard to believe you are ever ahead here without some very good reads.

jba 08-24-2005 02:44 PM

1- subject was funny, nh
2- preflop cap is not all that silly given your reads. I don't hate it. You have position and are ahead of more three betting hands than you are behind, I would think.
3- I have no idea what to make of that LRR, but I'd have to think this guy has unimproved overs 1/8 times.

kurosh 08-24-2005 03:02 PM

Looks good. I cap that every time PF.

sthief09 08-24-2005 03:19 PM

why? so he can put in a bet as an underdog, then give overcards odds to draw out postflop? makes sense.

kurosh 08-24-2005 03:34 PM

Most of the hands he will be up against, he is roughly 50/50. The change in pot odds for overcards is trivial and unimportant. The most important thing is the initiative and folding out better hands. Could he have the possibility of taking a free card if he doesn't cap? Do you think he could get 66 to fold on an A-high flop if he doesn't cap?

sthief09 08-24-2005 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the hands he will be up against, he is roughly 50/50. The change in pot odds for overcards is trivial and unimportant. The most important thing is the initiative and folding out better hands. Could he have the possibility of taking a free card if he doesn't cap? Do you think he could get 66 to fold on an A-high flop if he doesn't cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

against most of the hands he's 50/50 but against the range he's an underdog. it's unlikely his opponent will have a 2, 3, or 4. the change in pot odds is not trivial at all. it's 1 BB. capping in this situation offers absolutely nothing in the way of initiative. this is the type of guy who's probably going to the river no matter what.

Danenania 08-24-2005 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

against most of the hands he's 50/50 but against the range he's an underdog. it's unlikely his opponent will have a 2, 3, or 4. the change in pot odds is not trivial at all. it's 1 BB. capping in this situation offers absolutely nothing in the way of initiative. this is the type of guy who's probably going to the river no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree completely. Against a tag I might cap but with this type of opponent it's pointless.

MicroBob 08-24-2005 03:57 PM

bet the turn here? or is our raising-image out of control enough that there's no way we are taking it down on this kind of scary board?

I would think over-cards would throw in the towel here.

I don't like the pre-flop cap either.

Guy McSucker 08-24-2005 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think he could get 66 to fold on an A-high flop if he doesn't cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the 66 will fold if he caps, it will fold if he doesn't. The raise and call-a-3-bet signals an ace just the same.

Guy.