Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   08 with a full kill (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=321918)

TakeMeToTheRiver 08-24-2005 12:56 PM

08 with a full kill

I am a relative newbie at O8. Playing a 5/10 HOE rotation at a local club with a full kill. I just won the previous pot and have posted the $10 kill in MP. Game is 9-handed and has been fairly loose/passive.

I am dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Pre-flop: UTG limps, UTG+1 folds, MP1 raises, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls. Five to the flop.

Flop (10SB): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks. UTG checks. MP1 bets. Hero calls. Button folds. BB calls. UTG folds. Three to the turn.

Turn (8BB): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, MP1 bets, Hero???

I am figuring that I will be told that I should have folded preflop instead of defending my kill... I felt it was unlikely that there would be a second pre-flop raise and that I was likely to have five or six players in for two bets... still pretty stupid since I have terrible relative position to the PFR, but anyway...

comments?

Chamonyx 08-24-2005 02:49 PM

Re: 08 with a full kill

Better to fold on the flop, however given that you didn't...
I would have been tempted to promotional raise on the flop to try to get rid of non-nut lows and backdoor flush draws. Given that you didn't.....
I would again raise on the turn to try to get heads up, representing a set of Kings, and get the BB to fold his non-nut draws. Then I pray for the As or a K on the river.

TakeMeToTheRiver 08-24-2005 03:20 PM

I guess I was utterly confused by my multiple mediocre draws in this hand -- vulnerable straight draw, bad low draw, second-nut flush draw and now top pair on the turn...

Buzz 08-24-2005 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB checks, MP1 bets, Hero???

[/ QUOTE ]

TakeMeTo - Raise or call.

Raise is my first choice but I don't think a call is bad because BB may fold anyway and you don't really have much of a hand here. But I definitely don't think you should fold here - you can't really tell if MP1 has a pair of aces or not. (Looks like either a pair of aces or a bluff - not for sure, but that's what I'd suspect).

[ QUOTE ]
still pretty stupid since I have terrible relative position to the PFR,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. Table image is important. The raise of your kill post could very well could be a steal attempt. I think you need to make it clear you're not afraid of a pre-flop raise. By calling instead of folding here, you may save yourself from getting raised out of your kill blinds or regular blinds sometime in the future. I see it as part of the price of a seat at the game. Of course if there's a pre-flop raise every hand, or at least every time you post, that's entirely a different matter, and in that case you don't defend.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

TakeMeToTheRiver 08-24-2005 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I definitely don't think you should fold here - you can't really tell if MP1 has a pair of aces or not. (Looks like either a pair of aces or a bluff - not for sure, but that's what I'd suspect).

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I figured he had me beat but that most of my high draws were good (straight, flush, K). I also figured him for a pretty good low draw -- most likely to the nuts.

I just called (weak?) and BB overcalled.

And I certainly called the raise of my kill for the precise reason you said -- table image. As it turns out, my table image was that I was a loose, bad player -- and it served me well. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ironman 08-25-2005 09:25 AM

TakeMeTo,

First of all...that is my big beef with "kill" games. If I am playing a conservative O8 limit game, why would I want to be forced to play a given hand more than in the big blind.

With that said, if I'm playing this hand, I would raise the turn.

Dave

kyleb 08-25-2005 09:33 AM

Kill games benefit the better player because it generates action, adds more money to the pot, and allows you to outplay people on the flop with a substantially-sized pot to win.

TakeMeToTheRiver 08-25-2005 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kill games benefit the better player because it generates action, adds more money to the pot, and allows you to outplay people on the flop with a substantially-sized pot to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done very well in my usual game - 10/20 LHE w/half-kill. Good post-flop play makes these games very profitable.