Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   BB defense: I check-raise an A77 flop. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=321572)

Jeff W 08-24-2005 12:20 AM

BB defense: I check-raise an A77 flop.

Villain is semi-tight, aggressive player who doesn't go to showdown much. Stats: 25/12/1.9 w/ WtSD=27 and ASB=44 over 840 hands.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Jeff W is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Jeff W calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Jeff W checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Jeff W raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Jeff W checks and intends to fold.

smurfitup 08-24-2005 12:30 AM

Re: BB defense: I check-raise an A77 flop.

i occasionally make plays on boards like that. it's a pretty scary board for any non-ace hand, and while i doubt he'll fold tt-kk, he'll fold a lot of broadway cards that missed. and yeah, you have to check-fold the turn... if the guy is calling your check-raise on that board, i can't see him folding on any later streets.

TheWorstPlayer 08-24-2005 12:40 AM

Why would you check/raise that flop with any made hand? Are there any situations with this board that aren't WA/WB?

Jeff W 08-24-2005 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you check/raise that flop with any made hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't against this opponent, but I doubt he knows that.

elindauer 08-24-2005 12:51 AM

A lot of players just don't like to give up on the flop, but will fold to a turn bet. You need to know where this guys lets go if you're going to make this move. On this board though, you are probably right to give it up immediately.

Good luck.
Eric

elindauer 08-24-2005 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you check/raise that flop with any made hand? Are there any situations with this board that aren't WA/WB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check-raise a 7 every time. Why would I just call if I'm way ahead? There are plenty of 2nd best hands he can hold, and I don't want him checking behind on the turn.

my 2 cents.
Eric

mmcd 08-24-2005 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Checkraising the flop is clearly the way to go here if you have a 7. It'll induce excessive action from a big ace, and if he has QT or something, you're probably not going to get anymore than his 1 flop bet regardless of what line you take.

ALL1N 08-24-2005 12:58 AM

I find check-call + donkbet turn works better.

DcifrThs 08-24-2005 01:10 AM

absolute sillyness.

check fold or checkraise bet the turn.

you gave him a bb for nothing. everybody peels one on that board ... ive seen people peel with 23o hping to catch a 2 or a 3.

such a high % of hands fold the turn its SICKENING. bet the damn turn and dont look back. if he calls or raises you're done.

personaly i check fold and am done w/ it a vast majority of the time.

Barron

DpR 08-24-2005 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is semi-tight, aggressive player who doesn't go to showdown much. Stats: 25/12/1.9 w/ WtSD=27 and ASB=44 over 840 hands.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Jeff W is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Jeff W calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Jeff W checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Jeff W raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Jeff W checks and intends to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you have check raised that flop you have to bet the turn. Wasn't the point of the c'r to gain fold equity on the turn bet?

The fact that he called your c'r means nothing other than he has two cards. His low WSD means he likes to fold for the big bets. I would imagine you get a fold on this river at least half the time. As you played it, it seems like you put more money in the pot and then just gave it away.

That said, I don't love the check raise here unless I have a hand with some show down value or some way to improve. I think there are better spots........