Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What % of the time do you think your play your "A" game? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=320473)

ggbman 08-22-2005 03:46 PM

What % of the time do you think your play your \"A\" game?

Let's assume there are no A+ or A- etc...

I would define A game as basically always making correct decisions based on the information you have. Thos doesn't mean that a bluff can't be picked off, or a calldown when we weren't good. You guys know when you are playing your A game, so how often do you think you play it?

RunDownHouse 08-22-2005 03:52 PM

Re: What % of the time do you think your play your \"A\" game?

No more than 30% of the time.

spamuell 08-22-2005 03:55 PM

10% maybe. Most of the time I suck hard and run good. EDIT: Although there's something about PokerStars that makes me play my A game much more often on their site, maybe it's that I very rarely play more than one table there so I am usually at a very good table and I really pay attention.

Stack 08-22-2005 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No more than 30% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

08-22-2005 04:04 PM

30%, but I think I'm getting better at recognizing when I'm off my game.

I've found when I'm on I'm saying things like "he didn't raise preflop, so I doubt he has the ace, so that means my pair of 10's is probably good", etc.

When I'm off I say things like "How could he play crap like that? God, what a suckout. Idiot freaking called down with a pair of twos, what was he thinking? I can't belive AK lost AGAIN!"

Not entirely in jest. When I'm off I find my brain isn't quick enough to understand what's going on and my play ends up too much like a maniac or a calling station.

ggbman 08-22-2005 04:55 PM

I have a tough time discerning between my A game and solid winning poker. I would like to think my distiribution is something like:

55% A game
30% Solid winning poker
10% Over-aggressive play decreasing my EV
5% Subpar play on all levels.

Might be too generous to myself though.

Last night i managed hit the bottom 5% for a while though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sammy_g 08-22-2005 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would define A game as basically always making correct decisions based on the information you have.

[/ QUOTE ]
No one always makes correct decisions no matter how well they are playing.

Edit to say I'm not talking about making fundamental theorem of poker type mistakes either. I mean no one makes the "correct" plays all the time against opponents' hand ranges.

iluzion 08-22-2005 05:05 PM

Before a few weeks ago.. below 15%.. I'm working on getting farther up there, but I'm still not too far.

ggbman 08-22-2005 05:10 PM

You're correct, and it was poorly worded by me. I don't mean making every decision correctly, but maxing out your own personal ability to make correct decisions.

For one person, this might result in them being a 1BB/100 winner at 1/2, and for others it might be 2.5BB/100 at 30-60.

Also, i'm a little surprised at how hard people are being on themselves. I don't think you can be a 2BB winner at any stake level 3/6 and higher without playing your A game or close to it 40+% of the time.

baronzeus 08-22-2005 05:13 PM

it used to be 10-15%, but recently it has hit 60-70%, (after a lot of mental exercises) and my winrate/bankroll has seen a significant improvement. I am affected by tilt only in very small doses, probably one or two hands in 1000.