Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sports Betting (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Super Bowl pool. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=320411)

jedi 08-22-2005 02:22 PM

Super Bowl pool.

We have a group of 8 of us who participate in a Super Bowl pool. We randomly select numbers to see what the draft order is, and we draft according to this table:

AFC: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4
NFC: 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 8 7 6 5

This was designed for "maximum fairness" as everyone either gets a top 2 pick in a conference, or a top 6 pick in BOTH conferences.

Entry fee is $30. Winner of each conference gets $100, Super Bowl winner gets another $10, while best overall record of their 4 teams gets $30.

Anyways, I drew "4" this year, so I'm picking 4th in the AFC and 5th in the NFC. The Patriots are gone with the #1 pick in the AFC and if Indy or Pittsburgh fall to me, I'll take it. But I'm having trouble deciding who should come after that. I'm hesitant to pick home town favorite San Diego because of their schedule (I'd rather take KC instead). Do I take a potential wildcard team like Baltimore? I'm leaning towards KC right now, but am far from convinced. Opinions?

08-22-2005 04:00 PM

Re: Super Bowl pool.

Take Baltimore at AFC#4. Not much else there and off the teams remaining after NE are slim. IMO, Indy has no chance at winning a SB this year as the Defesne is just to bad. Also Pittsburgh will take a step back this year as well. I think that Ben will have a Soph slump. So in my opinion the Ravens are #2 in the AFC. I just think they have a good enough offense to win (pending Boller plays better) and a good enough defense to win a champioonship. Plus if the Ravns makes the playoffs with a defense like that you are always capable of making a run to the Superbowl.

So all in all I think any pick after NE has about the same value with the Ravens getting my edge.

tworooks 08-22-2005 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take Baltimore at AFC#4. Not much else there and off the teams remaining after NE are slim. IMO, Indy has no chance at winning a SB this year as the Defesne is just to bad. Also Pittsburgh will take a step back this year as well. I think that Ben will have a Soph slump. So in my opinion the Ravens are #2 in the AFC. I just think they have a good enough offense to win (pending Boller plays better) and a good enough defense to win a champioonship. Plus if the Ravns makes the playoffs with a defense like that you are always capable of making a run to the Superbowl.

So all in all I think any pick after NE has about the same value with the Ravens getting my edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the worst analysis I've ever read.

callicles 08-23-2005 12:32 PM

You could go with my sleeper super bowl matchup.
Ravens vs. Vikings: Purple Bowl XL.