Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   AKo - I still can't play Overcards! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=314419)

waynethetrain 08-13-2005 01:50 PM

AKo - I still can\'t play Overcards!

This is a pretty basic situation, but I wasn't sure how to play it.

I might have been ahead.
I might have been behind.
It might have been a chop.

It just didn't seem worth it on the turn.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

GrunchCan 08-13-2005 01:55 PM

Re: AKo - I still can\'t play Overcards!

I think this hand is fine. If you had folded the flop, I would not have complained.

waynethetrain 08-13-2005 01:59 PM

I considered folding the flop. I figured I didn't have 6 outs, but I probably had more than 3. So I took a peak at 1 more card.

Redd 08-13-2005 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this hand is fine. If you had folded the flop, I would not have complained.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think this is fine, but I don't like a flop fold. Hero is getting 11.5:1+a bit of implied odds, which seems like more than enough to peel for me. Could you elaborate?

GrunchCan 08-13-2005 02:03 PM

I might fold the flop becasue of how many outs I think we have. I give the hand a long-term value of between 2 and 3 outs. It's close enough that I think there's little difference between folding and seeing 1 more card.

Aaron W. 08-13-2005 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I considered folding the flop. I figured I didn't have 6 outs, but I probably had more than 3. So I took a peak at 1 more card.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOw did you get 3 outs? Worried about KK? I don't think you're reverse dominated here.

tiltaholic 08-13-2005 02:42 PM

hey.
i like a flop call and a turn fold here.

what do people do if villian checks the turn?
what do people do if villian checks the turn when the turn s a blank that doesn't pair the board (if the answer is different than the above situation)?

i tend to assume overcards and bet the turn...?

topspin 08-13-2005 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I give the hand a long-term value of between 2 and 3 outs. It's close enough that I think there's little difference between folding and seeing 1 more card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate? Given the lack of a preflop cap, I think you're up against a pocket pair smaller than KK or a worse ace here much more often than AA/KK, which would give you a lot more outs than 2-3.

GoHoosiers 08-13-2005 04:47 PM

This pot is not that small, plus we have position. UTG did not cap the flop, it makes me think AQ, AJ, KQ, JJ-99, maybe QQ or AK (if he's weak).

UTG's flop bet makes it 10SB. I'd really like to see two more cards, so I raise for a free card. After all, he did slow down to our PF 3-bet. If he 3-bets the flop, I fold.

If UTG just calls, he will hopefully check the turn, allowing me to check and give me a free look at the river. If UTG pulls a stop-n-go and leads again on the turn, I fold. I agree that our A &amp; K outs look pretty solid.

I think it's worth investing an extra SB on the flop to possiblly see two more cards, especially in a pot that is 10SB at that point, and knowing that all of our A and K outs are probably clean.

gonzopro 08-13-2005 05:00 PM

I do not like calling the flop. Raise (GoHoosier laid out the reasons very nicley) or fold. I think villian most likely has JJ-99 PP.