Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Everyone's favorite reads (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=312892)

willbb99 08-11-2005 10:58 AM

Everyone\'s favorite reads

I was wondering what everyone considered to be the most useful poker books that they have read in their careers. I'm having trouble deciding which ones to read now that I have devoured both volumes of HOH.

Give your top 3 or top 5 or whatever. Thanks.

citanul 08-11-2005 11:00 AM

Re: Everyone\'s favorite reads

do you mean for poker in general, or for sngs?

Hornacek 08-11-2005 11:01 AM

Cloutier and McEvoy was great at helping my tighen up my game, even if his playing style is considered too tight by some. The Super/Systems are always good and reliable too, if not outdated. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I generally find the Sklansky books helpful, but it takes a while to remember all these scenarios with % that he throws at you.

CollinEstes 08-11-2005 11:04 AM

I thought this topic was going to be about reading people.

Anyways if you ever play in a live low-limit game then I think Championship Poker by Tom McEvoy is a really good read. Very straight foreward. But really only good for limit cash games.

willbb99 08-11-2005 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you mean for poker in general, or for sngs?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry should've been more specific. I meant the best books for NL SNG's.

Maulik 08-11-2005 11:23 AM

there is no book for SNGs. also search is a good function. You can apply concepts from almost any book to SNGs.

willbb99 08-11-2005 11:35 AM

I don't understand. HOH certainly discusses strategy for Sit n Go tournaments right? Also, how I understand how useful the search function is when I already have in mind something concrete to search for but if I am looking for general tips (not the usual Aleomagus type strategy guides) I don't know what to search for.

codewarrior 08-11-2005 11:46 AM

Marcus Aurelius: The Meditations

And no, I'm not kidding. Read it. The actual, original text isn't that long, the commentary makes the book thick.

pooh74 08-11-2005 11:47 AM

a catcher in the rye
slaughterhouse five
the book of laughter and forgetting

citanul 08-11-2005 11:49 AM

Theory of Poker.

Small Stakes Holdem.

Supersystem (1 or 2, it's just the NL section that I find particularly helpful, though I haven't read SS1, so who knows, I may really like DS's section and not know.)

Reuben and Ciaffone is a different sort of book, but has some good stuff wedged in there.

Meh, there's others.