Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Party 15/30: An annoying AQ hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=310518)

fooz 08-08-2005 02:45 PM

Party 15/30: An annoying AQ hand

I raise AQo EP. Right behind me, a TAG (17/13/1.6) reraises. The rest fold and I call.

Flop comes A72r. He bets, I call.

Turn pairs the 2, full rainbow.

I bet, he raises. Do you lay it down?

Do you play the flop differently?

spoohunter 08-08-2005 02:46 PM

Re: Party 15/30: An annoying AQ hand

Did you guys switch seats halfway through the hand?

fooz 08-08-2005 02:49 PM

Yes...it's one of those new moving seat tables that came with the last upgrade.

Sorry...flop: I check, he bets, I call.

W. Deranged 08-08-2005 02:52 PM

This is totally classic way-ahead, way-behind.

I really want to see a showdown here. Hand protection is not a consideration. An aggressive opponent can be expected to continue betting.

Hence, I think check-call, check-call is definitely correct on the first two streets.

River is a little trickier. The thing is that I really never want to lay down this hand. I don't think there's much value in trying to figure out if we're behind "cheaply." Hence I may sometimes check-call the river as well. Bet-call might be a little better, but I just can't bring myself to bet-fold here when I'm losing to so few hands.

Playing passively isn't so bad in certain specific situations.

shant 08-08-2005 02:53 PM

Check/call, check/call, bet/call.

meep_42 08-08-2005 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

W. Deranged 08-08-2005 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that when I agree with Shant and Meep I am very encouraged that I may actually know what is going on.

logistik 08-08-2005 03:18 PM

Am I the only one that would check raise the flop? If you're three bet then you know you are in trouble. If I'm off base here someone tell me.

baronzeus 08-08-2005 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that when I agree with Shant and Meep I am very encouraged that I may actually know what is going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shant = meep = <*(((><

In this case, I do agree though.

W. Deranged 08-08-2005 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that would check raise the flop? If you're three bet then you know you are in trouble. If I'm off base here someone tell me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a taggish player, a check-raise won't gain that much info. A taggsh player may well call the check-raise with the intent of raising a later street. You could cost yourself more.

Information is not always that valuable! Particularly against tough players. I hear again and again and again that plays should be made for information when very often information will be totally noisy.

Check-raising also has the side effect of slowing down a hand like KK, which a taggish villain will often continue to bet.

Check-raising is bad for value as the only hands that will be paying us down are usually those that have us beat.