Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wapwn? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=307367)

private joker 08-04-2005 02:09 AM

Wapwn?

Early in my session, but Villain seems like the kind of guy who has read books and never figured out how to apply concepts. He checks when he should bet, bet when he should check, and call when he should raise. But take this with a slight grain of salt since it's only been a couple orbits.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

Final Pot: 10.20 BB

baronzeus 08-04-2005 02:11 AM

Re: Wapwn?

What a crazy check on the end. Of course you have to raise, but I'd need a pretty solid read to check there.

NH of course, but it's just crazy IMO.

Nick C 08-04-2005 02:18 AM

It's nice when it works, but I don't checkraise the river enough, and lately I don't know what it feels like. (I did whiff on the only river checkraise I tried last night.)

Anyway, my guess is that UTG+1 will call the checkraise, playing the board. Why he'd try to bluff at that board is beyond me, but you had a read that explains it.

SackUp 08-04-2005 02:19 AM

why no 3 bet preflop?

interesting river play. I think betting out and 3 betting might be better.

private joker 08-04-2005 02:21 AM

You're right -- this was a bad hand to post since it's based entirely on a read, and the read isn't very strong. Clearly this isn't de rigeur and thus adds little to strategy discussion here. Oh well, it happens, etc.

(Of course he called like a retard playing the board with AK and MHIG).

private joker 08-04-2005 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think betting out and 3 betting might be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds insane to me. Why in the world would you expect anyone to raise this river, let alone raise it with a hand I beat? I'm basically risking 1BB to win 2 with this move.

jason_t 08-04-2005 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think betting out and 3 betting might be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds insane to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds insane because it is insane.

Nick C 08-04-2005 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
interesting river play. I think betting out and 3 betting might be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably would have led the river, but why are we expecting a bluff-raise?

I don't know. If Villain did raise the river, I think I'd have trouble finding a 3-bet.

If he's been calling the whole way with, say, KK, that's not such a bad play versus a TAG. (If Villain is ahead with his KK, and he probably is, there's not much chance of getting outdrawn on this paired board. However, based on Private Joker's read, I'm thinking Villain might not be the type to wait and raise the river.)

oreogod 08-04-2005 02:45 AM

I like everything, except I 3-bet pre. Like the river if it fits your read.