Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Do you think in Poker Terms? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=307120)

08-03-2005 07:40 PM

Do you think in Poker Terms?

I find myself thinking in Poker terms quite often. Especially +EV or -EV. For example, yesterday a friend got in a fender bender and I thought to myself That's -EV.

Sometimes I say it out lout and my friends just roll their eyes and mutter that I'm addicted to poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MagicMan08 08-03-2005 08:44 PM

Re: Do you think in Poker Terms?

amazing first post

Pog0 08-03-2005 10:44 PM

Amazing 155th post

Quicksilvre 08-03-2005 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazing 155th post

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, hee.

(Amazing 144th post. Woot woot!)

ThinkQuick 08-03-2005 11:32 PM

I voted yes.

this response has substance!

nervous 08-04-2005 01:04 AM

So today I was trying to squeeze my car through a narrow gap between a wall and another car. Now I usually only do this while holding the nuts, but I decided to make a thin value bet and it paid off. Oh well here's to variance going to bite me in the ass next time.

Rotterdaum 08-04-2005 02:06 AM

When you are up against the queens, don't forget to raise, before you go all in. (not original [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

bobdibble 08-04-2005 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find myself thinking in Poker terms quite often. Especially +EV or -EV. For example, yesterday a friend got in a fender bender and I thought to myself That's -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

An event that has already happened is not + or - EV. Once the accident has occured, the value is no longer expected and has actually been established.

A better/correct example of thinking of EV and cars would be deciding if you should pay for parking or risk getting a parking ticket. For example, if there is a 10% chance that you will get a $30 ticket, but parking at a particular self-service garage costs $5, you should not pre-pay. Risking the ticket is +EV. However, if you come back to the car and find a parking ticket, you can't say, "Man, that's -EV", just becuase the ticket will be expensive. (This is what you did with the fender.. and in fact, in poker terms, this is being results oriented, which is bad.)

And FYI, EV isn't a poker term. It's a pretty common math concept that just happens to be applicable to poker.

p.s. I'm a nit.

brendons31 08-04-2005 09:40 AM

I often use poker terms when i'm out drinking and are in the clubs in town.

For example, i see an amazingly hot girl and think "she's pocket aces". If things go well then its the equilivant of flopping a set

For the fat ugly chik, i think "she's 2 7" off suit. Some of the rules me and poker playing mates have when out on the town are :

Before 11pm only premium hands.
11pm-12am adding a few more hands like Aq off, AJ suited
12am-1am pretty much any pair, suited conectors etc
1am-2am any ace, any king, conecting cards etc
2am-2.30am anything which is slighlty playable, ie any picture card
2.30am-3am(when bars close) any 2 cards will do ( ie. any girl will do).

08-04-2005 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the fat ugly chik, i think "she's 2 7" off suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could always get lucky and flop the nuts.