Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   beginner's advice: 0.5/1 or 1/2??? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=306956)

lillumultipass 08-03-2005 03:50 PM

beginner\'s advice: 0.5/1 or 1/2???

Hi to all!
Ok, so, on to some background. I started playing Hold'em a few months ago (around March), but I haven't played a lot lately...Anyway, now I want to start playing seriously, I am reading books more seriously (King Yao, SSHE...)...
The thing is, I am wondering which limit I should start with. When I used to play, I started at 1/2, but only because Interpoker didn't have lower limits. But now they have, and I was considering playing 0.5/1...until I saw some other guy's post about how hard it is to move to 1/2. Thus, since I have the necessary bankroll, shouldn't I start with 1/2? Because I don't want to get some bad habits playing 0.5/1. On the other hand, it is true that it seems to me that there are LOTS of bad players playing 0.5/1, and fewer rocks...
Any advice would be welcomed!
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Thanks!

davelin 08-03-2005 03:51 PM

Re: beginner\'s advice: 0.5/1 or 1/2???

Start at the lowest limit and work up.

magates 08-03-2005 03:54 PM

If you're serious about learning the game, I don't think you're going to develop any bad habits at .5/1. Lower limits allow you to gain experience with less risk, and build your bankroll up vs. weaker players.

fizzleboink 08-03-2005 04:49 PM

Well I started playing seriously almost 2 months ago and I started at 1/2. I did this mostly to clear bonuses at an optimal rate (although 2/4 is better at some sites, 1/2 is always decent). Since then I have tripled my starting bankroll (which was $500, again to maximize bonuses).

I started off on a nice hot streak (first royal flush on day 3 for a $200 bonus [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), and the bonuses I was able to clear helped cushion the 150 BB downswing I took afterwards. I'm riding good again, and I've learnt so much that I think I am a decently winning player now at this limit (keep reading books and these forums).

So my point is that if you have the bankroll, bonus whoring at 1/2 might actually be better because you can start off as a losing player but still potentially end up with more than you started with. And now because of this I never had to go through this transitional period of .5/1 -> 1/2 if it does exist.

deception5 08-03-2005 05:16 PM

There is no reason not to start at .50/1.00. Plenty of people here have the bankroll for 5/10 and play 2/4 or lower. Work on your game and then move up when you feel comfortable.

UATrewqaz 08-03-2005 06:02 PM

Don't play higher stakes until you prove you can beat lower stakes is just the smartest thing. If you are good enough to jump into 1/2 or 2/4 and win so be it but to avoid risking digging an early hole in your bankroll just start at the lowest limit, beat it, move up, rinse/repeat.

tiltaholic 08-03-2005 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi to all!
Ok, so, on to some background. I started playing Hold'em a few months ago (around March), but I haven't played a lot lately...Anyway, now I want to start playing seriously, I am reading books more seriously (King Yao, SSHE...)...
The thing is, I am wondering which limit I should start with. When I used to play, I started at 1/2, but only because Interpoker didn't have lower limits. But now they have, and I was considering playing 0.5/1...until I saw some other guy's post about how hard it is to move to 1/2. Thus, since I have the necessary bankroll, shouldn't I start with 1/2? Because I don't want to get some bad habits playing 0.5/1. On the other hand, it is true that it seems to me that there are LOTS of bad players playing 0.5/1, and fewer rocks...
Any advice would be welcomed!
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope it wasn't my post....

play where you are comfortable playing. .5/1 is easier than 1/2 which is easier than 2/4 ...etc. the fact that you are asking leads me to advise that you should start at .5/1. you can always move up (or down) as you wish.

and of course, the cheapest place to learn is at .5/1.

lillumultipass 08-04-2005 03:48 AM

well guys, thanks for the answers!
I will continue playing at 0.5/1 until I have built a bankroll...and my confidence also!
I will start with one table, and I will try to add a few more tables gradually. But for the moment I want to have some time to think about my decisions!
In the mean time, I will whore Inter each month, and when I am done, I'll move to Party where I also have an account.
Does it sound good??? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am fish 08-04-2005 08:40 AM

As long as you have the bankroll and are making a serious effort to improve your game, I would start at $1/2.