Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A3s - river wussiness (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=305750)

toby 08-02-2005 01:22 AM

A3s - river wussiness

2/4 absolute, 3 or 4 to a flop, no crazies. SB is new to the table.

Folds around to Hero with A3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in CO. Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB folds

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets, SB calls

River: 9 non-heart

SB checks, Hero checks behind. Ace high not getting called by a worse hand.

Nick C 08-02-2005 01:25 AM

Re: A3s - river wussiness

I don't think I would bluff the river either. The check behind seems fine to me.

clownshoes 08-02-2005 01:26 AM

Its fine

Towelie 08-02-2005 01:43 AM

This is River Play 101 here. If you won't get called by a worse hand, don't bet.

chief444 08-02-2005 01:50 AM

I'd probably never bet A-high here but I would bet a missed draw that is very unlikely to be best.

Jinx 08-02-2005 01:50 AM

Meh, I can see him holding a 2x here that was trying to peel 2 pair. It's a hard deicision, but I think a bet might be +EV in the long run. Obviously a worse hand isn't going to call, but you could fold a better hand. I'd either pussy out and kick myself for not betting or bet and get called and think myself an idiot. It's no win =\

Nick C 08-02-2005 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably never bet A-high here but I would bet a missed draw that is very unlikely to be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, though, it would be very difficult for you to have a missed draw that is worse than ace-high, in this particular case.

chief444 08-02-2005 02:02 AM

Lower hearts...and the typical 2/4 player isn't folding a pair here after getting this far.

Nick C 08-02-2005 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lower hearts...and the typical 2/4 player isn't folding a pair here after getting this far.

[/ QUOTE ]

(I think you're responding to me here.)

My idea was that, for me anyway, there are hardly even any steal hands that would have flopped a draw for me that wouldn't at least have given me ace-high by the time the river card fell. (I mean, I could have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or something, but most draws I would have flopped with non-ace hands would have caught something by now, on this JT962 board.)

Anyway, I think it is possible SB will have and fold a better ace. But I don't think he'll have and fold a better ace often enough. (Among other things, he might have 3-bet preflop if he held AK/AQ, which would have flopped overs and a gutshot.)

chief444 08-02-2005 02:16 AM

Gotcha...and agreed. When he folds if you bet here it's usually because you have the best hand.