Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Yet another I flopped a monster post (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=30451)

Nottom 03-09-2003 05:26 PM

Yet another I flopped a monster post

2/4 Online

I'm sitting on the button and get dealt AKo. EP limps. Folded to me and I raise. BB and limper call.

Flop: AAKr

So I am now holding the absolute nuts (barring some crazy runner-runner quad or straight flush). Checked to me and I check.

Turn is a Queen
SB checks, EP bets, I call, SB folds.

River is a blank.
EP bets, I raise, EP re-raises, I cap, he calls.

Hand history shows he had JT for the turned broadway.

Comments? I think this is pretty much a textbook example of a good time to slowplay and give someone a 2nd best hand and for once it actually happened.

Bob T. 03-09-2003 06:06 PM

Re: Yet another I flopped a monster post

Nice hand, it is the textbook example of when to slowplay.

Nottom 03-10-2003 05:33 PM

Thanks ... nice to see someone agree with my play for once. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Louie Landale 03-10-2003 07:04 PM

Slow-playing may work against the bone-heads who are oblivious to the fact and give you 4-bets on the river; DOH! But against the cognizant, you have a serious problem when you check the flop, since surely there are no other hands with which you would check. You would bet QJ and 87s on the flop, no?

And in this particular case, surely JT is going to call "one time" on the flop anyway.

So, know your opponent.

- Louie

Nottom 03-11-2003 01:32 AM

Sure, maybe JT, or QT will call on the flop ... hes getting 7-1 for his gut shot, but aside from that whos gonna call a bet here that wouldn't have bet out?

As for my bone-headed opponent, I certainly can't say I would cap here, but I think the turn smoth-call is what sucked him in ... I really have no clue what he could have been putting me on (i'd put me on a lesser boat most likely, 88 or A8 maybe?) but I guess the slow play was perfect against him.

PokerPrince 03-11-2003 06:04 AM

I personally would have bet the flop. It looks very suspicious when a preflop raiser checks it through with position with only two opponents when a scary flop comes. It screams slowplay to anyone observant enough. Your opponent would most likely have called with his gutshot anyway and you would have made at least the same amount, maybe more. The slowplay stuff might work against the weaky type low limit players, but once you go up higher in limits against craftier thinking players it's best to just bet your hand without causing suspicion.

PokerPrince