Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Starting 1/2 6Max AQ hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=302726)

Durs522 07-28-2005 05:20 PM

Starting 1/2 6Max AQ hand

Villian here hasn't played many hands. He's pretty TAG with a 24.3/9.5 over 350+ hands. Preflop he doesn't raise very often, postflop it seems like he's only in if he has a hand. He hasn't shown down many hands this session though so its tough to get a great read on the types of hands he plays. My notes for him are that he's a good player and plays somewhat tricky. I felt that he might have AA-1010, or a strong Q in this spot.

The other guy in the hand was a very poor player. He would often all down with jack high on a double paired board. He would also raise on the flop with a gutshot. He has 3 bet preflop with 10 5 OS so I'm not terribly worried about him.

What do you think of my play here?

I'm pretty new to 6 max so I'm curious how the 6 max regulars would play this hand.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP folds.

River: (14.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

Durs

irishpint 07-28-2005 05:24 PM

Re: Starting 1/2 6Max AQ hand

i just call pf and try to c/r the flop. i'm calling this down- no folding for me.

deception5 07-28-2005 05:25 PM

Looks fine.

irishpint 07-28-2005 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

you cap OOP against 2 strong hands here? I guess SOMEONE is going to so it might as well be us, right?

Durs522 07-28-2005 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just call pf and try to c/r the flop. i'm calling this down- no folding for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about just calling preflop, but I thought that MP would cap the majority of the time. I felt that if I capped, there was a chance he would fold but that it would also appear stronger to villian who I knew was a thinking player.

C/R on the flop is definitely a serious consideration.

Durs

irishpint 07-28-2005 05:33 PM

MP could be raising w/ a lot to steal and button might know something about him and be trying to isolate. i like calling and c/r the flop because if we cap and lead the flop (and miss, btw) and are raised then we're in a ditty of a situations (what does ditty mean? i wanted to use it). the difference between calling and capping is pretty small I think- but it just depends on what kind of line you want to take.

EDIT: if we miss the flop we dont c/r it. i guess that wasn't clear.

deception5 07-28-2005 05:36 PM

I cap because I think there's a good chance that the button is raising light preflop to isolate the weak player who I'm not convinced has as strong of a hand as he normally would. Also the cap gets more dead money in preflop when the bad player is likely a huge underdog.

Given the way the hand played out I like bet/3-betting the flop here. Unfortunate that it looks like we are beaten or splitting but the pot is huge so I call down.

TomBrooks 07-28-2005 05:39 PM

PREFLOP: I'm not sure I care for the preflop cap OOP.

FLOP: Fold to the three bet. It will save you 2.5 BB. Against normal opponents, this fold will be correct because you won't win this hand more than 1 in 6 times which is about how many times you need to win to compensate you for the times you lose. If Button is a Donk, a maniac, or tends to overplay good hands, call it down. From his stats he looks pretty solid. If you think he will bet like this with less than top pair or with a flush draw, call it down. How would a flush draw explain his preflop and flop action though, unless he A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] maybe.

TURN: If you plan on calling a bet with this heart turn which completes any flush draw, I'd rather bet and fold to a raise unless Button is a donk or maniac. Then check/call as you did

Durs522 07-28-2005 05:44 PM

Assuming we miss the flop:

If we call preflop we're putting in 3sb. Assuming we miss the flop when we check raise the flop we're putting in 2 small bets and if we get 3 bet we need to call. Assume now that we have put in 6-7sb on a hand that we are probably going to release UI on the turn.

Capping preflop and opening has us putting in 5 sb, and I think that if it comes back raised (either 1 or 2 bets) we can release the hand on the flop. If we miss and its bet heavy we're drawing very thin here.

The more I think about it I'm not sure what information we gain by calling and check raising the flop. I think if we lead out on the flop and get raised and 3 bet we will have no problem releasing the hand. But if we check raise and get 3 bet we're calling to see the turn. The other option is that if we go for the check raise and its 2 back to us we can release our hand easily.

deception5 07-28-2005 05:46 PM

We don't have to check/raise the flop if we miss... I would definitely check/raise this flop though had I not capped preflop.