Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Gotta trust your reads and instincts (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=301985)

fanmail 07-27-2005 06:30 PM

Gotta trust your reads and instincts

I have been playing for about an hour at this 10-handed 2/4 table. Villain has been mostly dead money and has folded after calling flop/turn bets, and he has raised all in once or twice before this hand, not getting called. I have a somewhat aggressive image, but not out of hand.

Action is folded to Hero ($400) who is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in mp1 and raises to $20. Villain (covers me) in mp2 calls, button (350) calls and bb calls (250).

Flop ($79) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets $65, villain immediately calls, others both fold.

Turn ($209) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets $180, villain raises me all in. Hero calls.

River ($839) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Results and analysis to come shortly.

MINETZ 07-27-2005 06:41 PM

Re: Gotta trust your reads and instincts

what exactly are you beating on the turn? looks like you are trying to convince yourself he has a busted flush.

lapoker17 07-27-2005 06:43 PM

I can't wait for the analysis.

Is this Keller's brother under another account?

fanmail 07-27-2005 08:08 PM

No, this isn't Keller's brother, sorry.

I guess there's not a LOT to this hand, but here's what I was thinking. Preflop raise was pretty standard, somewhat loose calls so usually 5xBB is what I had been shooting for with my raises. Villain to my immediate left had called several of my raises and we hadn't gotten to showdown due to 1 of us taking it down before that. I think villain's hand is not too strong, maybe a small pair, suited connectors, or a weaker A. My raises had been strong hands mostly with a little looseness, hence I got 3 calls.

Ok, so the flop comes and I bet about 3/4 of the pot, which is pretty standard for me whether I hit it or not. Its a draw heavy flop with medium cards and 2 to a flush out there. I want to just take it down right here of course since I have just an AK high. Villain calls as quick as I have seen anyone call ever. This leads me to believe his range of hands is a flush draw or str8 draw or maybe both. This is my gut feeling, and I was 95% sure of it at this point.

So I planned on betting about 3/4 pot on the turn assuming a non [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8, 10. Turn brings what I believe is a brick, the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I make my 3/4 pot bet as such, villain doesn't waste too much time moving the rest of his stack into the pot (he has me covered). I have invested about 2/3 of my stack already and its a large pot with not a whole lot more to call. Plus I had him on a draw and I don't think he hit it. I think for a few moments and I type in 'I have you on a draw here' and call for the rest of my chips. I truly think my A high is good at this point. And whether or not it is, I get to show my hand to the table and they may think I'm a moron. But the point is I made a read and stuck with it. I can live the results because I played it right in my mind.

Comments/questions/suggestions are all welcome.

Slappz 07-27-2005 08:21 PM

Have you ever adjusted your read to new information?

This is a nice play for image purposes, even better if u win with Ace high, but maybe he misclicked and called by accident with a set/2pr instead of raising, or he was gonna push a non diamond/8/10 to make sure you dont hit a draw. Its a lot harder to tell with online, if it was live i think itd be much easier to make that specific of a read and it would make a much bigger impact for your image as well.

Hope it worked out id like to hear the results.

RollaJ 07-27-2005 08:30 PM

Thanks for paying my bills [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Dr. StrangeloveX 07-27-2005 11:26 PM

You're my hero if the villain actually turned out to have flopped a straight or something and you are drawing dead.

fanmail 07-28-2005 12:15 AM

You're right, in a live game, this read is perhaps safer. However, I made it and I was confident it was right. My reads usually are right, and I have to trust them, sometimes on just an A high. Anyway, villain shows 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and he caught the straight on the river after all the money went in. He had a flush draw, as I had assumed, and caught a redraw on the turn. I had the best hand, he just caught and won.

The fact that people are calling me out supports why I did this. I knew what I was doing on this one instance, and my image is going to benefit against players who think I am an idiot. I don't make a habit of this kind of strange call, it was a specific play and situation. The play may not look right to you, but it was read dependant. And if you were at the table where I made this play, you might be losing your stack to me later on when I hit a monster.

fimbulwinter 07-28-2005 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right, in a live game, this read is perhaps safer. However, I made it and I was confident it was right. My reads usually are right, and I have to trust them, sometimes on just an A high. Anyway, villain shows 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and he caught the straight on the river after all the money went in. He had a flush draw, as I had assumed, and caught a redraw on the turn. I had the best hand, he just caught and won.

The fact that people are calling me out supports why I did this. I knew what I was doing on this one instance, and my image is going to benefit against players who think I am an idiot. I don't make a habit of this kind of strange call, it was a specific play and situation. The play may not look right to you, but it was read dependant. And if you were at the table where I made this play, you might be losing your stack to me later on when I hit a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

they just don't understand what a great poker player you are. we can only sit here and bask in your glory, wallowing in our own awe and wonder.

fim

Allinlife 07-28-2005 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they just don't understand what a great poker player you are. we can only sit here and bask in your glory, wallowing in our own awe and wonder.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]
that's just brutal fim. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]