Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Whats wrong with the NFL (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=300821)

Wes ManTooth 07-26-2005 10:25 AM

Whats wrong with the NFL

Alex Smith is going to get $57 mil, $24 guaranteed! avg $8.25 mil a year. This is the article

NFL teams dish out redonkulous contracts to rookies ever year and it is getting worse and worse. Smith is getting the most guaranteed money ever for a rookie signing. This going to a player that mostlikely would have not been chosen in the top 5... maybe not even the top 10 had it not been that the 49ers needed a quarterback that bad.

Is this contract a joke? are rookie contracts in the NFL a joke? your thoughts

Patrick del Poker Grande 07-26-2005 10:31 AM

Re: Whats wrong with the NFL

Yes. This is very bad, this idea.

CollinEstes 07-26-2005 10:32 AM

Yeah I agree they are getting ridiculous. But what is worse is the stupid ass incentitives the put in. Last year I heard that Phillip Rivers contract had all of these incentivities like if he won a superbowl twice in his first three years he would get an extra 5 million. Or if he made the probowl for 5 straight years, that would be 5 million.

It is just stupid.

Wes ManTooth 07-26-2005 10:37 AM

Maybe they should start putting some restrictions or caps on rookie signings. The NFL must have thought about this, why has this not been seriously considered?

Besides, obviously the rookies not getting that much money, is their anything wrong with this thinking?

brettbrettr 07-26-2005 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe they should start putting some restrictions or caps on rookie signings. The NFL must have thought about this, why has this not been seriously considered?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is being seriously consdiered. Its being discussed as part of the new CBA. It would create a lotting system like basketball, standardized deals, etc. Some of the players union like it, some don't.

Wes ManTooth 07-26-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is being seriously consdiered. Its being discussed as part of the new CBA. It would create a lotting system like basketball, standardized deals, etc. Some of the players union like it, some don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that most in the players union would like this so they would spend less on unproven rookies and this would free up more for veterans.

brettbrettr 07-26-2005 12:29 PM

Yeah, but the powers that be in the union are worried about the other NBA systems like max contracts based on # of years and things like this. I guess they figure, and it makes sense to me, that if you assign rookie salaries what's to prevent 4yr vet maxes, 7 years, etc.

wayabvpar 07-26-2005 12:31 PM

It might be a bit high, but remember- NFL contracts are not guaranteed. The signing bonus is, but the rest of it is only earned by having a place on the team. I think situations like the NBA and MLB where guys play hard for one year, get a fat guaranteed contract, and then proceed to donk it up for a few years is worse. It has the potential to cripple a franchise.

bugstud 07-26-2005 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It might be a bit high, but remember- NFL contracts are not guaranteed. The signing bonus is, but the rest of it is only earned by having a place on the team. I think situations like the NBA and MLB where guys play hard for one year, get a fat guaranteed contract, and then proceed to donk it up for a few years is worse. It has the potential to cripple a franchise.

[/ QUOTE ]

if alex smith turns into akili smith the 49ers will be very hard pressed to right the ship because of this contract.

sublime 07-26-2005 01:44 PM

Whats wrong with the NFL

very little