Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Why does no one fold to turn raises? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=300054)

Padawan Learner 07-25-2005 12:37 PM

Why does no one fold to turn raises?

Party, 5/10 full handed.

UTG (seemed fairly tight and reasonable in the 20 or so hands I have played with them) open limps, I raise with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from ep, folded to the BB who calls, as does UTG.

3 to the flop for 6sb.. T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG bets, I call, BB folds.

2 to the turn for 4BB J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets, I raise....( he calls of course).

I hardly ever use the semibluff turn raise because, frankly, it just rarely seems to work. Anyone like it in this spot?

JinX11 07-25-2005 12:42 PM

Re: Why does no one fold to turn raises?

I like it more if you have a flush draw to go with it.... That said, I don't *dislike* it a whole bunch as an occasional change of pace. You have a lot of outs and folds do occasionally occur....

Maybe you've been active while at the table and he has you read as someone who is loose or bluffs too much...???

brettbrettr 07-25-2005 12:43 PM

"Why does no one fold to turn raises?"

This is a good thing. Just don't bluff the turn.

krimson 07-25-2005 12:45 PM

UTG is getting 1:7 on this call making it correct to draw with a lot of hands, so I wouldn't expect him to fold without a fight. If you're reading weakness you could follow this up with a river bluff. The pot will lay you 1:8 for a bluff and your hand so-far looks like a value extracting-line so you have some reasonable fold equity.

Padawan Learner 07-25-2005 12:46 PM

Brett:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But every few thousand hands, I get a situation that looks very appealling to put in that kind of raise.....and then I am reminded why I have stopped making that raise.

brettbrettr 07-25-2005 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brett:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But every few thousand hands, I get a situation that looks very appealling to put in that kind of raise.....and then I am reminded why I have stopped making that raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just using it on the wrong guy. I semi-bluff or straight bluff in 5/10 games. Not constantly. But sometimes. It doesn't always work. But it doesn't always not work either.

crunchy1 07-25-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
every few thousand hands, I get a situation that looks very appealling to put in that kind of raise

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this situation looks very appealing at all. What range did you put UTG on when he lead into you on the flop?

Padawan Learner 07-25-2005 01:36 PM

Crunchy:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this situation looks very appealing at all. What range did you put UTG on when he lead into you on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

AT,KT,QT,JT,T9,A6,99,88,77,66,TT, possible a two...maybe just a bluff at a low ragged flop. It is hard to put too tight a range on this guy after 20 hands.

Care to eloborate further...

xniNja 07-25-2005 01:43 PM

I'll make it with an open ended straight like the one you had, occasionally, but probably not in the situation shown.

If you were UTG, with virtually anything worthy of betting at that flop... why would a jack scare you on the turn? Looks like a fairly obvious semi-bluff to the straight or flush to me.

Edit: By the way.. look at the range of hands *you* put him on.. would you fold any of those to a raise on the turn?

Entity 07-25-2005 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does no one fold to turn raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people raise the turn with King high.