Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How to calculate profit (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=299628)

elindauer 07-24-2005 07:49 PM

How to calculate profit

In another thread there was a lot of discussion about raising AK from the BB preflop. Much of the debate centered on where profit is made, and how to calculate it.

I'd like to begin a discussion on this topic. In particular, I propose a simple method for calculating the true EV of a hand. That is to grant the pot to that hand, and have it pay out the EV of all the draws out against it.

Here is a simple application of this concept.

you: AK
opponent: KQ
flop: AT7
pot: 4SB
assumptions: you will bet the flop and KQ will call (incorrectly). you will bet the turn no matter what hits. KQ will raise a turn J and fold everything else. AK will call down a raise.
Finally, to simplify the math, we'll say a J hits the turn exactly 9% of the time.

Now, using my method, I calculate the EV for AK as follows:

The EV of the KQ draw is:

91% of the time: -1 SB
9% of the time: 11 SB (4 initially in the pot, plus 11 put in by AK post flop)

EV KQ draw = .91(-1) + .09 (11) = .08 SB (note that there is no a priori reason this number had to be positive)

Hence, EV (AK) = pot - EV (draw) = 4 - .08 = 3.92 SB

I claim that, under the assumptions for this problem, this is the EXACT EV for AK, not an estimate, and that any system of calculating profit which wants to be taken seriously must produce exactly this number.

Some argued that my method for calculating EV was totally flawed. They countered that a better method is to calculate the EV of the various options one has at their disposal (check / bet / fold) and look at the relative value gained / lost. They made some, I felt, hand waving arguments why this is superior. I challenge them to prove their case formally by producing the EV of AK, exactly 3.92, with their method. I'll even get them started, by guessing at what they mean:

EV of AK = EV (initial) + EV (flop bet) + EV (turn bet) + EV (river)

I suspect they would plugin numbers for these things something like this:

EV (initial) = 91% * 4SB <-- the pot equity of AK
EV (flop bet) = .82 SB <-- EV gained by taking a 91% advantage on a 1SB bet, compared to checking
EV (turn) = 91% * 9% * 6SB <-- EV gained by betting when KQ misses, instead of checking, that is, the equity of the draw that will fold, compared to checking +
9% * -2 <-- EV lost by betting a J with 0% pot equity, compared to checking +
9% * -2 <-- EV lost by calling the raise with 0% equity, compared to folding

EV (river) = 9% * -2 <-- EV lost by calling with 0% equity

So...

EV of AK = .91*4 + .82 + .91*.09*6 + -.09(6) = 4.46 + .4914 - .54 = 4.4114 SB

Oops! Different answer, and quite wrong I believe. What's the problem? I know where the mistake is, but I want someone else to point it out because this will lead us to, I think, an interesting discussion on why this method is so confusing to apply properly.

So, I make the following claims, both of which have been shot down as absurd in another thread:

1. my way of looking at EV is valid
2. my way is simpler
3. your way has not been proven valid (though it will be, I hope, shortly)

This question is relevant because it effects the way we fundamentally talk about the true value of a hand, and decides which framework to use when discussing questions like whether or not you should raise AK from the BB against 4 limpers. discuss.

Thanks,
Eric

Paxosmotic 07-24-2005 08:04 PM

Re: How to calculate profit

[ QUOTE ]
assumptions: you will bet the flop and KQ will call (incorrectly). you will bet the turn no matter what hits. KQ will raise a turn J and fold everything else. AK will call down a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should revisit this section, specifically the assumption that we will make 11SB on this hand. 2SB are made on the flop (our bet and villain's call), but after that the well dries up. Villain folds if he misses his draw, and we're drawing dead if he makes it. This accounts for the massive leap in EV on this hand.

Harv72b 07-24-2005 08:07 PM

What about the times when a jack hits on the turn and the river is a queen?

SeaEagle 07-24-2005 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EV KQ draw = .91(-1) + .09 (11) = .08 SB (note that there is no a priori reason this number had to be positive)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll try not to run over this thread. So just a simple clarification:
Are you saying that the EV for a gutshot draw is positive in a 4sb pot? Or are you saying that the gutshot's "piece" of the pot is .08 and that AK's "piece" is 3.92? Or are you saying something else?

chief444 07-24-2005 08:37 PM

Eric,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This should be .09(11) - 1 = -.01 right? He's getting a 9% chance to win 11 SB's for the cost of 1 SB.

That is the EV of the call is only slightly negative with your assumptions.

[ QUOTE ]
Hence, EV (AK) = pot - EV (draw) = 4 - .08 = 3.92 SB

[/ QUOTE ]
AK's EV if KQ calls is just 4+.01 = 4.01. If KQ is calling incorrectly then AK's EV certainly can't be less than if KQ folds right?

[ QUOTE ]
EV (flop bet) = .82 SB <-- EV gained by taking a 91% advantage on a 1SB bet, compared to checking

[/ QUOTE ]
91% of 1 SB = .91 SB's. I'm not sure where the .82 comes from or why you're comparing it to checking.

[ QUOTE ]
EV (turn) = 91% * 9% * 6SB <-- EV gained by betting when KQ misses, instead of checking, that is, the equity of the draw that will fold, compared to checking +

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what this is. Can you explain? If I were looking at is from EV I'd just look at what AK loses by giving the free card which would be .09*current pot + any river bet(s) from AK. So the EV of betting is the pot the EV of checking is the pot - whatever the above gives which will obviously be less.

[ QUOTE ]
9% * -2 <-- EV lost by betting a J with 0% pot equity, compared to checking +
9% * -2 <-- EV lost by calling the raise with 0% equity, compared to folding

EV (river) = 9% * -2 <-- EV lost by calling with 0% equity

[/ QUOTE ]
If AK is drawing dead (which as Harv points out it really isn't but that's just a minor detail overlooked) then AK is losing 100% of any bets. So I'm not sure what you're doing here either.

Basically, I'm just not making any sense of the second half of your example. But as I said in the other thread I have no issue with your method. Any method if done correctly will lead to the same EV. It shouldn't matter which perspective you look at it from.

Matt

mr pink 07-24-2005 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
specifically the assumption that we will make 11SB on this hand. 2SB are made on the flop (our bet and villain's call), but after that the well dries up. Villain folds if he misses his draw, and we're drawing dead if he makes it. This accounts for the massive leap in EV on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's talking about how much KQ makes if it hits its Jack on the turn, the 4 sbs in the pot + 7 sbs postflop (1 sb for the flop bet, 4 sbs on the turn - bet/call, and 2 sbs on the river - check/call, for a total of 11 sbs)

Paxosmotic 07-24-2005 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
specifically the assumption that we will make 11SB on this hand. 2SB are made on the flop (our bet and villain's call), but after that the well dries up. Villain folds if he misses his draw, and we're drawing dead if he makes it. This accounts for the massive leap in EV on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's talking about how much KQ makes if it hits its Jack on the turn, the 4 sbs in the pot + 7 sbs postflop (1 sb for the flop bet, 4 sbs on the turn - bet/call, and 2 sbs on the river - check/call, for a total of 11 sbs)

[/ QUOTE ]
Sigh, I don't even know how I get dressed in the morning.

SeaEagle 07-24-2005 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you: AK
opponent: KQ
flop: AT7
pot: 4SB
Finally, to simplify the math, we'll say a J hits the turn exactly 9% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, a slight change of mind...if we're going to deal with a specific hand with specific postflop play, then it's actually possible to calculate exact EV at each spot of the hand. So I guess I'll throw out some EV numbers based on the 'traditional' way of calculating EV.

I suggest 3 numbers can help us decipher this hand: The EV for both sides immediately following the flop; The EV of the flop betting action; and the implied odds for the remainder of the hand.

First, a couple of assumptions that will make this a little easier:
1) A J will turn 10% of the time (this just makes for eaiser calculations than 9%).
2) KQ is in the SB and AK is in the BB, and there's no rake.

So...
EV immediately after the flop:
We know that KQ is going to fold the turn 90% of the time and there's 4sbs in the pot so, if there's no additional betting, AKs long-term EV is 3.6sb and KQs is .4sb.

EV of the flop action:
2sbs go into the pot and 90% of the time, AK is going to win, so the long-term EV for AK is 1.8sbs and .2sbs for KQ. Note that you can also subtract the 1sb each side put in and say that AK made .8sbs on the bet and KQ lost .8sbs on the bet, which is my preferred way of looking at it.

Implied odds:
10% of the time, KQ is going to collect 6sbs in turn and river bets for an EV of .6sbs.

So on this particular hand, with postflop action shown, we can calculate that:
AK will win, on average, 3.6+1.8-.6 sbs, or 4.8sbs. Of course, he has to put in 3sbs so his average profit, or overall EV from this hand will be 1.8sbs.
KQ will win on average, .4+.2+.6 sbs or 1.2sbs. And when you subtract his 3sbs that he put in the pot, he will lose an average of 1.8sbs.

I suggest that any alternative method of calculation must come up with these same numbers.

chief444 07-24-2005 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AK will win, on average, 3.6+1.8-.6 sbs, or 4.8sbs. Of course, he has to put in 3sbs so his average profit, or overall EV from this hand will be 1.8sbs.
KQ will win on average, .4+.2+.6 sbs or 1.2sbs. And when you subtract his 3sbs that he put in the pot, he will lose an average of 1.8sbs.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're only putting in 3 SB's each after the flop the 9-10% (or actually 8.5%, but sure 10% is easier) of the time. So you still need to look at the two different possibilities...that is 90% of the time there is no river and AK wins 4SB's + 1SB and KQ loses 1 SB. 10% of the time KQ wins 11 SB's and AK loses 7 SB's. Using 10% and the assumptions and neglecting any redraw obviously KQ would be correct to call with an EV of .1*11 -1 = .1 SB.

SeaEagle 07-24-2005 09:39 PM

the 3 sbs are the 2 bets PF that make up the 4bet pot and the 1 bet each on the flop.

The turn and river bets are all encapsulated in the .6 implied odds calculation. i.e. KQ will clear 6sbs profit if he turns a J (10% of the time).