Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   UB $5 Turbo tourney OOP with bottom pair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=298122)

einbert 07-22-2005 07:44 AM

UB $5 Turbo tourney OOP with bottom pair

Still pretty far from the money, so I think evaluating this hand on chipEV alone is probably the best idea.

We're ten handed, with blinds at A 100/SB 500/BB 1000
In this hand, the average stack in the tournament is right around 10k.
Stack sizes:
MP 13k
Hero 10k
PREFLOP: (2500)
Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Folded to MP who opens to 2000, folded to hero who calls
<font color="red"> I feel this is a standard call, as I'm just getting too good of pot odds to release my hand at this point with the $100 ante. In fact I'll always at least call with any two cards here, regardless of the level or my chip stack.</font>

Flop: (5500)
8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I have 9k left and my opponent has me slightly covered. My only read on my opponent is that he seems tight (a few hands ago he doubled up when I open raised from MP with AJo, he reraised all in with AKo, I called getting about 2-1 and his hand held up).

My thought process:
If I check or bet a little he might push with a lot of hands I'm beating badly (like AK or AQ). Obviously I would like to get all his money in the middle with those hands, but I also am not happy if he checks behind (will any player check behind here frequently with a hand I'm beating?) So maybe this is simply a straightforward checkraise all in. All thoughts are appreciated, thanks. My apologies if this is totally standard.

bmxreed36 07-22-2005 07:51 AM

Re: UB $5 Turbo tourney OOP with bottom pair

I play in these occasionally and knowing UB players, if you check he will bet the pot. I would only push here if you are fairly sure he's weak and there's a good chance he won't call. If he has any pocket pair he's ahead and if he calls with two overs, he has outs. With an average chip stack like yours, I would forget about this and move on to the next hand.

einbert 07-22-2005 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play in these occasionally and knowing UB players, if you check he will bet the pot. I would only push here if you are fairly sure he's weak and there's a good chance he won't call. If he has any pocket pair he's ahead and if he calls with two overs, he has outs. With an average chip stack like yours, I would forget about this and move on to the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

126,720 games 0.031 secs 4,087,741 games/sec

Board: 8h 6c 3d
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 49.6346 % [ 00.50 00.00 ] { AA-22, AKs-AJs, KQs, AKo-AJo, KQo }
Hand 2: 50.3654 % [ 00.50 00.00 ] { Ts3c }</pre><hr />

If you say he'll bet the pot with anything he raised preflop with, there is no way I can check and fold. I have an equity edge against his range of hands here, and I'm trying to accumulate chips.

Even if it were exactly 50-50, there is no way I can fold here when I have a chance to flip a coin getting 13.5-9. Having 50% equity in a 22,500 chip pot is worth 11,250 chips so getting all the money in against that range of hands is worth more than 2k chips, or 22% of my stack!

sekrah 07-22-2005 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel this is a standard call, as I'm just getting too good of pot odds to release my hand at this point with the $100 ante. In fact I'll always at least call with any two cards here, regardless of the level or my chip stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH?!

You just risked 1/5th of your stack on one of the worse hands possible. You didn't see a hand better than 10-3o to push with in the last orbit?!

Shallow stacks, MP only 13 BB raises the minimum?!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] That's screaming Kings or Aces to me.

He would be a fool to not push with A-K or A-Q.. He re-raised all-in with it a few hands earlier you say but now he'll min-raise it? But then again it is a $5 tourney, so who knows.

I think your flop call is ridiculous.

bmxreed36 07-22-2005 08:00 AM

I don't know, I may get the money in there if I really think he's weak or he may even fold but if not there are probably situations where you can fold better equity.

sekrah 07-22-2005 08:00 AM

If you're trying to accumulate chips, why wait until your BB to play a pot (with 10-3o none-the-less) ?

einbert 07-22-2005 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're trying to accumulate chips, why wait until your BB to play a pot (with 10-3o none-the-less) ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been sitting around not playing any pots. I have been raising, stealing blinds and playing pots the whole time.

I still don't understand why my PF call is bad. I'll have to think about it some more.

Thanks for the help so far.

Verbal Kint 07-22-2005 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel this is a standard call, as I'm just getting too good of pot odds to release my hand at this point with the $100 ante. In fact I'll always at least call with any two cards here, regardless of the level or my chip stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH?!

You just risked 1/5th of your stack on one of the worse hands possible. You didn't see a hand better than 10-3o to push with in the last orbit?!

Shallow stacks, MP only 13 BB raises the minimum?!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] That's screaming Kings or Aces to me.

He would be a fool to not push with A-K or A-Q.. He re-raised all-in with it a few hands earlier you say but now he'll min-raise it? But then again it is a $5 tourney, so who knows.

I think your flop call is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the pre-flop call? You say he paid 1/5th of his stack, but did you notice that he is in the big blind? He was paying $1K with $4.5K already in. I am still not sure I would call that extra $1K with T3o OOP, but he was getting pretty good pot odds. As for post-flop, I'd consider pushing here... either that or check-fold, in which case you'd have to wonder if spending that extra $1K was a good idea...