Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Real quick: Teach me the basics of NL cash games (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=297983)

jacki 07-22-2005 01:20 AM

Real quick: Teach me the basics of NL cash games

I'm a solid limit player, with experience in limits up to 6/12 live and 3/6 online.
I play lots of NL tourneys, both multitable and SNG.

I've never played NL cash games though.
And I'm going to Oneida in Green Bay this weekend with a friend, and I've heard the 2/5 NL game is soft.
It's $100 min and max buyin. If you drop under $100, you can add another $100 to your stack. So really, it's a $200 max buyin.

So, quick, teach me!
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

snappo 07-22-2005 01:22 AM

Re: Real quick: Teach me the basics of NL cash games

Seems like you need to get yourself over to the local bookstore and read this ASAP!

UOPokerPlayer 07-22-2005 01:23 AM

Playing with a max of 40 big blinds, just play tight and real aggressive preflop. If you do this right, you should be pushing or check calling all in most every flop. Have fun.

MasterShakes 07-22-2005 02:02 AM

Why don't they just let you buy in for $200? Also, even if they did let you in for $200 in a $5 BB game, that's still pretty short stacked.

jacki 07-22-2005 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you should be pushing or check calling all in most every flop. Have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?
Preflop raise should be about 4x BB, right? So I should be betting $150-$180 into a $50-$75 pot?

yellowjack 07-22-2005 02:18 AM

Watch a table on stars/UB/party. Imagine that, but with 3 or more limpers every hand.

Raise your good hands for about 3BB + (BB * # of limpers/posted blinds). Bet about 1/2 to 2/3 of pot every flop after PFR and you're vs. 2 or less players, or maybe even against weak players. Bet any pair, draw, etc.

DrunkIrish05 07-22-2005 03:24 AM

yeah you're probably gonna be playing 10 handed and getting 6+ limpers every hand, even with a raise to 20, you'll still have 3 or 4 callers wayyyyyy too often, go with the other suggestion of 4xBB + 1BB for every limper already in the pot

UOPokerPlayer 07-22-2005 05:07 AM

I'm not saying to go crazy with it. I'm saying that if there are limpers, and you have a big hand, it's better to make a raise that puts the pot big enough to not have to do that much thinking on the flop. Not that this is bad, playing with 40 bb's, I'm just saying don't dick around and try to get fancy. Put it in when you feel you're ahead.

Malachii 07-22-2005 05:08 AM

LOL

Rode_Dog 07-22-2005 11:35 AM

NL is very different, but ABC poker is still the way to play. B&M is typlically much looser that online. Many more callers, larger PF and Flop bets.

Be prepared to draw less, use pot-sized bets to set incorrect drawing odds and to punish chasers. That's the one liner.