Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Maximizing profit with AA and position (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=291776)

GoCubsGo 07-13-2005 01:07 AM

Maximizing profit with AA and position

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) converter

BB ($2.10)
UTG ($26.25)
UTG+1 ($12.75)
MP1 ($3.85)
MP2 ($13.40)
Villain ($10)
Hero ($10.55)
SB ($11.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.10, Villain calls $0.10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.6</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $0.50, MP2 folds, Villain calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.05) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333"> Villain bets $0.9</font>, Hero calls $0.90, UTG folds.

Turn: ($3.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333"> Villain bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5.5</font>, Villain folds.

Final Pot: $11.35

I usually would raise the flop, but he probably has a queen or king with a weak kicker, since I hold two of the aces in the deck. If I raise he may fold assuming I have AQ or AK and I did raise preflop. I thought he would come out firing again on the turn if I just called, and he did. I know I took a risk of letting him catch trips or two pair, but I think this is a good play. What should I have done on the turn?

RiverFenix 07-13-2005 01:17 AM

Re: Maximizing profit with AA and position

His bets are so small he clearly has a weak holding - just calling only lets him catch cards. Raise the turn, no surprise he folded. He probably wouldnt have lead river w/o improving his holding if youre just calling all his bets.

clevernapkin 07-13-2005 01:28 AM

I agree here
This looks like one of those hands where you'll win a small pot or lose a big one.

ajmargarine 07-13-2005 01:28 AM

Head to head, I think your call on the flop would have been OK. But, UTG was still in the hand at that point, and that IMO makes calling a little bit dangerous. It worked here tho. I think your turn is fine. He didn't call, oh well. That 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] didn't help him, and you couldn't really wait til the river to raise him.

One thing: what's your standard preflop raise if you are opening. .50? (5xBB) I ask because I think your preflop raise was a tad light with 3 limpers before you. It should be your standard plus one BB for every limper. That's the formula anyway. You can probably get away with adding a BB to that if you want with multiple limpers. You could have probably went to .80 preflop and gotten both callers. This gets a little more $ in the pot. With a slightly bigger pot, the 2 bets that villian made may have been slightly bigger also giving you a larger pot at the end.