Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How to suck at poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=290628)

Ghazban 07-11-2005 12:06 PM

How to suck at poker

This was from over the weekend and I don't have the HH on this computer so its from memory. Villain is unimaginative and on the weak/tight side. I've played with him at least 4-5 times and would expect he sees me as being very LAG-gy in LP. I'm really only posting this so to force myself to think about the hand again and not play this way in the future.

Party 1/2 NL full, I have $200, he has me covered by a few bucks.

Folded to him 3 off the button and he openraises to $6. I have black KK in the CO and make it $20. Its folded back to him and he thinks a long time and calls.

Flop: T84r ($43 less rake)

He donkbets $20 into me. I'm fairly certain he has a smaller overpair as he plays AA very fast preflop. He's trying to see if I have big cards or a bigger pair. I call, figuring he'll fold to a raise but might continue to bet if the turn is harmless.

Turn is a J, putting 2 diamonds on the board (not a straight flush draw, though). Pot = $83 less rake

He checks to me, I bet $50 and he checkminraises me to $100. I call.

River is an eleventy-four of wands, he pushes and I call.

djoyce003 07-11-2005 12:11 PM

Re: How to suck at poker

he turned a set of jacks. I think you should have raised the flop....that tells him you can beat top pair. If you get further agression from him, he's telling you he can beat aa/kk. Raise the flop and this hand plays easier, you can fold to the turn checkraise, etc. Part of the problem with setting traps is that sometimes you step into your own. I did this exact same thing against a real aggro player with KK against his 99. I never raised him and ended up getting all my chips in against his set....i never played it to get information. This line isn't terrible as you committ yourself to a line that you win most of the time, but every once in a while you lose way more chips than you normally would.

nrinker 07-11-2005 12:14 PM

I like the flop call because it puts him in a sticky situation on the turn/gives you more money. But ya, your read on the villain makes me want to fold this turn. Most definitely the river.

fuzzbox 07-11-2005 12:15 PM

Bet flop weak then check/minraise turn = setty mcsetterson. You are beat - let it go.

See how big pairs entice you to go for your stack - they are truly the evil of poker.

Maulik 07-11-2005 12:41 PM

please, watch me suck at poker. similar situation, you need to defend/define your hand even though you're assuming he's got an overpair. I'd try to get all my money in at some point on the flop or at least define my hand so he understands you're strong.

swolfe 07-11-2005 12:50 PM

played fine...what else can you do on the flop? WAWB

i'd have probably checked the turn and called a river bet.

meleader2 07-11-2005 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WAWB

[/ QUOTE ]

?

TheWorstPlayer 07-11-2005 12:53 PM

So you put him on precisely JJ/QQ. He then min c/r the turn when a J hits. And you call because....? I don't even bet the turn here. He's still not drawing very live if he miraculously has QQ and I want to a)avoid a c/r and b)keep up the charade of having AK.

Ghazban 07-11-2005 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you put him on precisely JJ/QQ. He then min c/r the turn when a J hits. And you call because....

[/ QUOTE ]

I suck at poker. See post title.

Ghazban 07-11-2005 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WAWB

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

Way Ahead/ Way Behind