Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Adjusting to 6 Max....a question for experienced 6 max players (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=289070)

cfb1739 07-08-2005 06:01 PM

Adjusting to 6 Max....a question for experienced 6 max players

I've been playing full ring 200 NL for 6 months now, and Pacific Poker has just added 400 NL and 600 NL full ring and 6 max tables.

For some reason, the 10 max 400 NL tables are not often full. I want to move up limits (my bank roll is adequate...>$8000), but I find my self frequently playing 400 NL 6 max w/ 4-6 players.

I have no experience playing short handed. I know this has probably been discussed many times over, but would someone please refer me to good threads regarding starting hand requirements.

I would also appreciate some comments on what hands you can call raises w/ OOP when you are playing short handed.

All help/comments are appreciated.

Rockatansky 07-08-2005 06:08 PM

Re: Adjusting to 6 Max....a question for experienced 6 max players

I don't think that in 6-max you should use formulaic guidelines for pre-flop play. You have to pay attention and make reads in order to determine the range of hands with which you're willing to call a pre-flop raise from a particular player. The players range from tight-passives that raise pre-flop 3% of the time to aggressive players who raise 30% (or more) of the time pre-flop.

fimbulwinter 07-08-2005 06:53 PM

6max:

big cards up, implied odds hands down
position up, hand values normalize somewhat
PFR's for value down, PFR's for position up
semibluffing up, betting for value down
reads up, cards down

fim

RiverFenix 07-08-2005 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6max:

reads up, cards down

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

You switched the formating for the PFRs if you wanna quick edit it. Right idea, wrong order (nitpick)

Go_Blue88 07-08-2005 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6max:

reads up, cards down

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

why are implied odds reduced? i feel like they're extremely important in 6 max...if you have a good read on a guy, which you should b/c youve played so many hands with him, then implied odds should be a big factor.

ghostface 07-08-2005 08:42 PM

less chance of multiway pots

jogsxyz 07-08-2005 09:38 PM

With no experience in 6-max games you should move down in limit, not up. Play the NL100 game until you feel comfortable. The shorter game has a higher varience than the full game. You will need to play more hands. You're in the CO and button 1/3 of the time. In the full game you're the CO and button only 1/5 of the time. You'll be playing rougher hands and will encounter many more tough decisions post-flop.

fimbulwinter 07-08-2005 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6max:

reads up, cards down

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

why are implied odds reduced? i feel like they're extremely important in 6 max...if you have a good read on a guy, which you should b/c youve played so many hands with him, then implied odds should be a big factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you quite understand the concept of implied odds. do you have ToP?

fim

Go_Blue88 07-08-2005 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6max:

reads up, cards down

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you quite understand the concept of implied odds. do you have ToP?

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm yeah...maybe i don't look at implied odds correctly. whenever i play i just ask myself "if i hit this hand will my opponent pay me off big?" i don't look at it from a multi-way perspective; i target a specific player...like if a guy raises w/ only premium hands and can't get away from them when he hits, i'll call w/ like 75 b/c i know if i flop 2 pair i'll stack him. am i looking at it incorrectly?

cfb1739 07-08-2005 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With no experience in 6-max games you should move down in limit, not up. Play the NL100 game until you feel comfortable. The shorter game has a higher varience than the full game. You will need to play more hands. You're in the CO and button 1/3 of the time. In the full game you're the CO and button only 1/5 of the time. You'll be playing rougher hands and will encounter many more tough decisions post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the play will be the same at 100 NL. Plus, I would be bored as hell. I've done OK so far (over a small sample size, though)