Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Raise to 5X BB w/ AA and get 3 callers......your post flop play???? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=289037)

cfb1739 07-08-2005 05:11 PM

Raise to 5X BB w/ AA and get 3 callers......your post flop play????

Pacific Poker NL 400 (6 max)

Only read on villain: He is a super donk who has no business playing NL 400

CO ($461.91)
Villain ($224.30)
UTG ($332.33)
BB ($623.50)
SB ($169.60)
Hero ($692.03)

Hero is on the button w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop:

UTG calls $4, Villain calls $4, CO folds, Hero raise to $20, SB folds, BB calls $20, UTG calls $20, Villain calls $20.

Flop:($82) Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, CO checks, Villains bets $25, Hero calls $25, BB folds, CO folds

Turn: ($132) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets $25, Hero calls $25

River: ($182) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero checks

Results:

Villains shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero has black aces and wins pot.

OK, I'm not sure I like my line here, but when I get 3 callers to my $20 raise I go into caution mode.

My reasoning:

Villain could have any hand here, so I can't rule out 9s, 7s or even 97s. QQ is unlikely, but you never know with a donk like this.

I thought if he had a weak holding then he would fold to a big raise (I actually think a minraise might be in line here, even though I never do it). If he has me beat, then I'm building a big pot that I'm going to lose. So I decide to call.

How do you play this to extract maximum value?

What is your play on the river?

I think I played this was to weak, but when I get 3 callers I usually shut down.

All thoughts appreciated.

Rockatansky 07-08-2005 05:15 PM

Re: Raise to 5X BB w/ AA and get 3 callers......your post flop play???

[ QUOTE ]
Flop:($82) Q 9 7

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure there's only one donkey in this hand?

Snag 07-08-2005 05:20 PM

Re: Raise to 5X BB w/ AA and get 3 callers......your post flop play????

There's roughly $80 dollars in this pot on an extraoordinarily draw heavy board. You call $25?

Raise him to $80ish on the flop, and if he comes back at you - you can make the decision then.

Don't just give up when you have AA on the flop - at least make an effort.

Malachii 07-08-2005 05:21 PM

That's not very nice at all Rock.

As to the OP, I'd be concerned about making it too cheap for JT to draw out on me here. I would raise the flop to $80.

cfb1739 07-08-2005 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop:($82) Q 9 7

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure there's only one donkey in this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. No, but I've been raising frequently with a wide range of hands (not garbage though). So it's entirely possilbe they think I'm full of ****.

amoeba 07-08-2005 05:40 PM

all the more reason to raise, no?

cfb1739 07-08-2005 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's roughly $80 dollars in this pot on an extraoordinarily draw heavy board. You call $25?

Raise him to $80ish on the flop, and if he comes back at you - you can make the decision then.

Don't just give up when you have AA on the flop - at least make an effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't someone on a draw bet bigger as a semi-bluff to try to win the pot right there?

If I raise the flop to $80 and get called, what do I do on the turn?

Additionally, because he is bad, he could be making this bet with just a pair of queens, a pair of nines or some other marginal hand that will fold to a substantial raise.

cfb1739 07-08-2005 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all the more reason to raise, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

amoeba 07-08-2005 05:57 PM

what you do on the turn depends entirely on what he does on the turn.

you have position.

frequently people bet these amounts on a draw because 1, you probably won't call with Ace high, 2, it acts like a blocking bet to where they see a turn for cheaper than if you were to bet the flop.

your opponent might very well make this bet with a pair but with a pair, he is still drawing against your AA and he has 5 outs. you also want to drive guys behind you out.

if you just call the flop and somebody calls after you, if somebody else comes alive on the turn, it could make things very difficult.

Malachii 07-08-2005 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't someone on a draw bet bigger as a semi-bluff to try to win the pot right there?

[/ QUOTE ] Not necessarily, and your opponent is supposed to be bad, so I think you're giving his thought process too much credit.

[ QUOTE ]
If I raise the flop to $80 and get called, what do I do on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ] Depends on who calls you. Bet/fold to a raise probably.

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, because he is bad, he could be making this bet with just a pair of queens, a pair of nines or some other marginal hand that will fold to a substantial raise.

[/ QUOTE ] The point to the raise is to protect a vulnerable hand in a multiway pot. All you have is one pair right now. Raising makes things much clearer for you: If someone cold calls after you make a substantial raise, warning bells should immediately go off for you. It also folds straight draws.