Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Already ITM - AJs in MP - your move? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288034)

LuvDemNutz 07-07-2005 10:14 AM

Already ITM - AJs in MP - your move?

Pokerroom $20K guaranteed tourney - 630 entrants

36 left

I have $22K

Blinds are $1K/$2K

Average stack is about $36K

31st - 36th pays $112, 30th pays about $140,

of course, the real money is at the final table -

1st pays $5600.

Folds to me in MP with AJs - standard raise, fold, push?

OrcaDK 07-07-2005 10:17 AM

Re: Already ITM - AJs in MP - your move?

I raise to 5k.

Mez 07-07-2005 10:25 AM

Minus any reads on CO, button, blinds, and assuming your table image is fairly tight, i'd raise here to 5-6K.

sirtemple 07-07-2005 10:30 AM

Is there a big stack left to act behind you? If your 5000 raise gets called, you'd have to fire a conitinuation bet on most flops, probably 9000 or so. That's 2/3 of your stack in the pot. I think you have to push here if there are big stacks behind you that might want to look at a flop.

LuvDemNutz 07-07-2005 10:35 AM

Everyone left to act has me covered, but not by much. ($24K-$45K).

SB is biggest stack left to act with ~$45K.

DonT77 07-07-2005 10:39 AM

I'd push here because:

1) You are on a relatively short stack (11BBs) and are several places from making much more money - so I'm hoping to win a race against a hand like 99 or TT.

2) You're going to have a catch a break somewhere soon to get into the big money.

3) AJ does not play well OOP - so you don't want any callers.

I'm guessing you pushed and got busted, but it was probably the right play IMO.

ansky451 07-07-2005 10:41 AM

I have never played pokerroom so i dont know if there are antes. if there are i make it 6k, if not, i make it 5k. depending on my read of any player that plays back at me id consider calling an all in- although id be less likely to do so if i had made it 5k.

locutus2002 07-07-2005 10:59 AM

My preference is to raise. AJs is a great hand from MP, and I think you want action. You are going to need to win some chips to make a run for the money, and more than just the blinds. The pay difference between 36 and 30th isn't that much. I'd be looking to gamble with what's likely the best hand.

A better hand is going to call a push anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

A_PLUS 07-07-2005 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My preference is to raise. AJs is a great hand from MP, and I think you want action. You are going to need to win some chips to make a run for the money, and more than just the blinds. The pay difference between 36 and 30th isn't that much. I'd be looking to gamble with what's likely the best hand.

A better hand is going to call a push anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting line. My first instinct was to push, but I this line has some merit. You arent going to be pushing out AQ+ JJ+ anyway, might as well give someone else a chance to call with AT, KQ, etc.

I think this is the best line, turns to a push once you get down to 16000 or so, IMO.

Also, I am calling any push after I raise.

Atty 07-07-2005 12:11 PM

I agree with Locutus. Because the stack sizes to your left are not much bigger than yours, a push will most likely only be called by someone with a better hand. You can find out all you need to find out by raising to 5-6k. Weaker aces and small pocket pairs will probably get out of the way, not wanting to risk 20% of their stack. If you are re-raised all-in, you are probably beat. If you are flat called, you are probably ahead.