Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Medium PPs - line Check Please (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=287885)

HoldingFolding 07-07-2005 02:39 AM

Medium PPs - line Check Please

These are all 33s.

Opponent is LAGgish.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter

BB (t680)
Hero (t720)
MP1 (t1150)
MP2 (t950)
CO (t3070)
Button (t725)
SB (t705)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t170</font>

Opponent is has lost his chips with poor hands to date.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

MP2 (t510)
CO (t295)
Button (t1730)
SB (t720)
Hero (t775)
UTG (t2360)
UTG+1 (t890)
MP1 (t720)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>

Opp seemed solid

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

MP2 (t710)
Hero (t575)
Button (t740)
SB (t775)
BB (t835)
UTG (t2230)
UTG+1 (t1430)
MP1 (t705)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t775 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 folds, Hero ????

Taraz 07-07-2005 05:59 AM

Re: Medium PPs - line Check Please

That first situation is tough. I'm not sure what I would do but I think I'd be a bitch and fold.

The second scenario seems like a push to me. He could easily be on a steal attempt even if he is "solid" and he only has 300 chips.

I don't see how you can fold the JJ hand. You're getting incredible odds unless he has AA-QQ. I think you'll see a lower pocket pair pretty often here though. And I don't know about you, but I don't like playing with less than 500 chips this early in a SNG.

Just my 2 cents . . .

zambonidrivr 07-07-2005 08:39 AM

i push all of these hands. especially with your stack.

Scuba Chuck 07-07-2005 09:56 AM

Hand 2 is my favorite: "Opp seemed solid" That's a helluva read for a guy with t295 in level 2.

mlagoo 07-07-2005 09:58 AM

i probably push all three, with the possible exception of a stop n go in hand 1, just to [censored] with his BRAIN.

vinyard 07-07-2005 10:02 AM

Except that quote references the third hand, not the second.

My play
1. Fold.
2. Push. The guy is a donkey. Take his chips.
2. I call this. Like another poster wrote, you are scared of a very small comination of hands and I highly doubt they make up anywhere near half of the hands your average player re-raises all-in at this level. You would be surprised how often you see 55-TT here.

mlagoo 07-07-2005 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You would be surprised how often you see 55-TT here.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.

edit: and, incidentally, how infrequently you'll see AA or KK played in this way, leaving you with, for the most part, QQ to worry about. push it real good.

Scuba Chuck 07-07-2005 12:11 PM

OK, I'll play this game. I've recently played in a game with you, and I can see that you play middle pairs very weak and then strong. For example, I watched you limp in level 5 with 88, and call my push with AQ. Luckily I won (me small stack), but I find that trapping with 88 not to be very successful (~50% [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]), and that seeing a flop not very productive at this level.

Anyway, to your hands.

Hand 1: 99 has some high card value to it. But I definately don't like limping with it on level 3. Furthermore, your position is atrocious. If you had 99 in the CO and one limper or it was folded to you, I like a raise, but here, UTG, I'm sure I'd muck it with your sized stack.

Hand 2: CO raising 33% of his stack is a sign that he has a real hand, IMO. That range is likely 88+, AJ+. And if you push over him, you're in a race or worse. I think calling this is terrible, so your only choices are to push or fold. I prefer the fold. Weak tight early. If CO had just pushed, I would think you could include A5+, and 44+ for his hand range, but the raise to t100 is a sign that his hand strength is better than that.

Hand 3: Well, I have rules that I follow that keep me out of trouble early. JJ falls into one of those rules. Don't get in trouble with it. I will sometimes raise from CO with JJ, so I don't have a quarrel here (though your size is probably more than it needs to be). But I don't call an allin early unless I have QQ. BUT, if you fold, you're left with t450. I'm rarely in this scenario. I'm pretty sure I might pull a coin out of the drawer and flip. And whatever side lands, I'd say, "Oh, I call." With your stack this small preflop, next time I'd limp. It makes this easier to play.

HoldingFolding 07-07-2005 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently played in a game with you,

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure? What's your handle? Though that does sound like something I'd do ( [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) I don't think I've ever posted my sn here.

These are interesting answers and are making me rethink my game.
#1. I'm suprised to hear that you'd simply muck this, unless it's a very aggressive table, I think a lot of the time you will get to see a flop.
#2. Agreed; the raise was suspicious, but I still think in the 33s this might simply be a donk with something offbeat.
#3. So you'd limp then fold to the raise. JJ is my biggest moneyloser so I certainly need to rethink it.

kamelion44 07-08-2005 12:17 AM

Scuba, I'm really surprised you'd open limp from the CO with JJ...what's the reasoning?