Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Is it possible to be addicted to gambling but not action? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=287615)

ihardlyknowher 07-06-2005 07:15 PM

Is it possible to be addicted to gambling but not action?

Is it possible for someone who loves to play poker and does so almost obsessively but plays well and tries to make only +EV bets to be "addicted"?

If the answer to that question is yes - if that person takes a break from playing poker to test whether or not they are addicted, is the break useless as a test if that person continues to study and think about poker?

KidPokerX 07-06-2005 08:57 PM

Re: Is it possible to be addicted to gambling but not action?

What were the terms of your *coughfriend's*cough break? Did his/her break include a vacation of absolutely no poker? If so, did your friend have other activities planned during his/her break but choose to drop them in order to review poker material, or did he/she do so for less intrusive reasons such as boredom?
My answer is no. I don't think you and/or your friend is addicted.
My advice to this person is to keep at it.

bkholdem 07-06-2005 10:23 PM

I am aware of a suggested test to see if someone is an alcoholic. It is not to 'quit' or 'quit for some time' as some people are stubborn and will tough it out to 'prove' they are not.

The suggested test was to keep a fridge full of beer and to have exactly 2 beers every night. No skipping nights and no having 3 or more. How many people with an alcohol problem can tow that line for a couple of months?

Many people are addicted to many things. One measure of whether or not it is problematic is the way it is impacting other area's of your life.

Of course it is possible to be 'addicted' and to be a very successful player. Phil Ivy is a poker addict. I do not think he would deny that.

Bill Gates and Donald Trump are workaholics. I think they could both survive quite well retiring and playing in their gardens or whatever. They 'need' to do what they do. Hopefully they find it satisfying and others in their life do as well.

One of the beauties lol of addiction is denial.

ihardlyknowher 07-07-2005 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*coughfriend's*cough

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

Here's the bottom line:

My therapist thinks I should take a complete break, playing, studying, thinking about because he saw my mood affected by how my cards were running (my thoughts are that anyone's mood is affectedc by a bad day at the office). Ironically, he did so the day before I was going to Vegas for the WSOP, so the break has not happened.

Knowing that I am not addicted (or denying it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), I have told my therapist that I may or may not do all he suggests. I have been discussing with my wife what she thinks is appropriate.

Anyway, I don't think that taking a break from playing is such a bad idea, as long as I can hit the books and 2+2 (my game will thank me for it later I am sure).

Thoughts are appreciated.

BigBaitsim (milo) 07-07-2005 01:06 AM

All psychiatric diagnoses include the criterion that the "problem" must cause significant distress and/or interfere significantly with some aspect of the person's life (work, relationships, etc).

When you get back from the WSOP, sit down with your therapist and ask him/her to go over diagnostic criteria for Pathological Gambling. One of the most important distinctions between "professional" and "pathological" gambling is that winning pros must playn with extreme discipline, while pathological gamblers have a marked lack of control and discipline.

Note that the two are not mutually exclusive. In fact, many successful and disciplined poker players lose a great deal of money gambling in a pathological manner on sports or craps.

-Dr. Milo

ihardlyknowher 07-07-2005 01:19 AM

Appreciate the input. Any thoughts on whether it is reasonable to suggest to my therapist that I abstain from playing but not studying?

Noticed your location - are you a MN native? I grew up in Burnsville.

BigBaitsim (milo) 07-07-2005 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Appreciate the input. Any thoughts on whether it is reasonable to suggest to my therapist that I abstain from playing but not studying?

Noticed your location - are you a MN native? I grew up in Burnsville.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just moved here.

You need a diagnosis before deciding on a treatment. If you are a Pathological Gambler, you will need to stop. No sense in studying if you can't play. If you are not a Pathological Gambler, you should work on recognizing signs and symptoms should your play get out of control.

Obsessing about poker is common in both pros and addicts. You have to figure out which you are. your shrink should be able to help.

bkholdem 07-07-2005 06:31 AM

If someone accused Donald Trump of being addicted to the real estate game and he decided to 'take a break' from doing real estate deals, but kept "reading and studying real estate" would that count as him continuing with his addiction or not?

Looks like he can't 'take a break' from it to me.

BTW I am a winning player and consider myself to be addicted to poker.

jba 07-07-2005 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The suggested test was to keep a fridge full of beer and to have exactly 2 beers every night. No skipping nights and no having 3 or more. How many people with an alcohol problem can tow that line for a couple of months?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish you hadn't told me about this test. There's no way I could pass this.

but they're there, and they're cold!!!

this is like having to sleep next to a beautiful woman for two months, and being forced to make out with her for 15 mins each night, nothing more nothing less. It's actually pretty cruel.

SheetWise 07-07-2005 03:35 PM

Even people who love their work occasionally have to force themselves to get moving. If you find yourself playing cards when you would really rather do something else, you're probably not addicted -- you're just earning a living.