Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How tight can you play and turn a profit? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=287013)

PokerCat69 07-05-2005 11:04 PM

How tight can you play and turn a profit?

I've had some financial problems lately and had to withdraw most of my bankroll to cover some expenses. I've left a little over $50 at pokerstars and hope to rebuild this playing the 5NL game.

I want to play tight as possible because there is less variance/risk and once I'm back on my feet and built up $300 for 10NL I can open up a bit.

I was thinking: AA-22, Aks-AJs, AK, AQ, KQs
Playing these hands a +EV game?

theben 07-05-2005 11:16 PM

Re: How tight can you play and turn a profit?

i think if you are playing in nano stakes games, playing super tight is the way to go

DMACM 07-05-2005 11:55 PM

I play less than that and im profitable over like 100k hands. Not at 10bb/100 tho more like half that. I think I should probalby add more. I assume ur talking full ring.

PokerCat69 07-06-2005 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play less than that and im profitable over like 100k hands. Not at 10bb/100 tho more like half that. I think I should probalby add more. I assume ur talking full ring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah 9 handed. What hands did I list that you don't play?
Also when your on the SB are you completing with alot or just sticking to the premium hands?

vulturesrow 07-06-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had some financial problems lately and had to withdraw most of my bankroll to cover some expenses. I've left a little over $50 at pokerstars and hope to rebuild this playing the 5NL game.

I want to play tight as possible because there is less variance/risk and once I'm back on my feet and built up $300 for 10NL I can open up a bit.

I was thinking: AA-22, Aks-AJs, AK, AQ, KQs
Playing these hands a +EV game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy Ed Miller's GSIH and play his short stack strategy. It will be profitable.

cfb1739 07-06-2005 12:38 PM

Eliminate AQo AJs AJo KQs from early position.

Don't call raises w/ these hands. You can raise these hands when folded to you in late position, or when there is only one limper (you have position on him).

Don't call late position raises w/ small pocket pairs. This could be anything and you might not get paid off if you flop your set.

BB_Specials 07-06-2005 01:07 PM

You could stick to AA-77 AK, AQ.
Drop everything else.

This will probably be more profitable at such loose tables.

sammy_g 07-06-2005 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you want to be careful not to play so tight that you win rate goes way down. your risk of ruin is governed by both your std/100 hands AND your win rate together. you want to find a balance that minimizes that risk of ruin.

that said i'm certain that you can play winning poker with only that mix of hands.

sammy_g 07-06-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy Ed Miller's GSIH and play his short stack strategy. It will be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
it's profitable, but since your win rate is so low, i suspect you actually need a larger bankroll to play this style.

by the way, the cost of GSIH is about half of the original poster's bankroll.

meow_meow 07-06-2005 01:46 PM

If you have any aptitude for HU, I'd seriously consider playing the HU SNGs on stars. You've got 9 buy-ins for the 5+0.25, which is enough for a minimal ROR if you can muster a winrate in the 60's.
Move up to the 10+0.50 then to the 20+1's as appropriate. I find the level of play much better (worse for winrate) at the 50+2.5 and above.