Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Enlightened... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=286972)

VBM 07-05-2005 10:13 PM

Enlightened...

I just finished playing a session & had an epiphany; for me, at this novice stage, poker success is a function of 3 variables:

1. Getting good cards
2. Playing bad, predictable players
3. Me playing well

If any one of these is out of whack, my chances for success drop precipitously...

Thoughts?

WordWhiz 07-05-2005 10:19 PM

Re: Enlightened...

Yes. These 3 things apply at all levels, not just novice/ small limits. Bad players (may) get less bad, and predictable players (may) get less predictably, but you still only can make money off of your opponents' mistakes.

@bsolute_luck 07-05-2005 10:21 PM

define "good cards"

TripleH68 07-05-2005 11:58 PM

1. Getting good cards <font color="red">in good position. </font>
2. Playing bad, predictable players <font color="red">who take second-best hands too far and pay off $$$. </font>
3. Me playing well <font color="red">and not f'ing up too much. </font>

VBM 07-06-2005 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
define "good cards"

[/ QUOTE ]

cards that make winning hands. cards that can cover a whole host of poker mistakes due to their inherent strength.

i made this #1 b/c i had an abnormally high number of playable/strong hands my recent session that frankly, a chimp could've played profitably. i have no illusions that were i given my opponents' cards, i'd fare anywhere close as well.

crownjules 07-06-2005 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i made this #1 b/c i had an abnormally high number of playable/strong hands my recent session that frankly, a chimp could've played profitably. i have no illusions that were i given my opponents' cards, i'd fare anywhere close as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Last night the same thing happened to me. I ran incredibly hot for about an hour that netted me +100BBs. Combination of good starting hands and very good boards.

VBM 07-06-2005 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Playing bad, predictable players <font color="red">who take second-best hands too far and pay off $$$. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent revision. i think sometimes even otherwise solid players do this for their "table image" or to defense the possibility of someone "making a move" on them.

NateDog 07-06-2005 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent revision. i think sometimes even otherwise solid players do this for their "table image" or to defense the possibility of someone "making a move" on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty.

I called a river bet tonight on a double paired board with A high. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Brain 07-06-2005 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty. I don't trust people in real life, how am I supposed to do it at the table? I don't want to go back to being weak-tight again. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

NAU_Player 07-06-2005 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
define "good cards"

[/ QUOTE ]

the ones that win pots!

Don't you hate it when you confuse the "bad cards" with the "good" ones?