Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Good hand against good player (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=286740)

jgorham 07-05-2005 04:40 PM

Good hand against good player

Opponent in this hand is a very good TAG, big winner in the game. If he isn't a 2+2er, I don't know how he learned to play poker so well. Also his name is derived from my favorite author, so he is even cooler. In any case, what do you all think of this line?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Edit to add: He knows that I am a good player as well.

sfer 07-05-2005 04:48 PM

Re: Good hand against good player

I can't see playing the flop and turn like that without raising the river.

jgorham 07-05-2005 04:52 PM

What range do you put him on? On the river I was thinking he wouldn't have played just a K or Q that way (especially leading into me again on the river after my calls), so I figured I was up against a bluff or at least 2pair. Of course, I could be wrong.

MrTeddyKGB 07-05-2005 04:54 PM

weak... what do you put him on. raise the turn or river.

MrTeddyKGB 07-05-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What range do you put him on? On the river I was thinking he wouldn't have played just a K or Q that way (especially leading into me again on the river after my calls), so I figured I was up against a bluff or at least 2pair. Of course, I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not he my just want to define the hand if he has AK or AQ or KJ or K10 he is going to like his hand. What hand do you put him on that would not cap the flop but can now beat AA. plus your hand is way underrepresented. If you capped the flop and he still bet then maybe a call down is in order.

jgorham 07-05-2005 05:00 PM

He would have capped AK, and I dont think his line is the best to take on that board with KJ, KT or AQ. So when he bet into me again on the river, I figured he had raised the flop hoping I would 3bet, and he could pop me again with 2pair or a set.

MrTeddyKGB 07-05-2005 05:04 PM

do you think he thinks you can beat a king. I would not . Hence if I had one or AQ I would bet. would you check KJ or AQ with this action.

MrTeddyKGB 07-05-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So when he bet into me again on the river, I figured he had raised the flop hoping I would 3bet, and he could pop me again with 2pair or a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats way waiting to the river to raise is good because it keeps you from getting 3 bet by some hands that beat you on the river because you hand looks like a monster now. slowplayed KK .

Rudis 07-05-2005 06:07 PM

I don't see the reason for not raising the turn...
What hands would he fold?
Why are you sure he'd cap AK?

Derek in NYC 07-05-2005 06:34 PM

More often than not you're running into AK rather than KQ or a set. I'd definitely raise the flop.

Edited to add: Actually, since you hold AA, the chances of AK are significantly diminished. Still, I'd either raise the flop as I suggested, or as sfer said, I'd raise the river. (Id probably raise the flop, though.)