Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Terrible river check? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=285874)

marand 07-04-2005 06:50 AM

Terrible river check?

Villian is aggressive and check/raises about 3%. (35/15)

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

If you bet the river do you call a check/raise?

wheelz 07-04-2005 06:52 AM

Re: Terrible river check?

Very easy bet, I'm calling a raise

imported_Robert Andersson 07-04-2005 07:16 AM

very easy check!

deepsquat 07-04-2005 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
very easy check!

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? If villain had the A or K of diamonds he would be alot more aggro on the flop.

I bet and call a raise.

nervous 07-04-2005 07:59 AM

Checking is supremely weak-tight.

You are playing 10/20, remember.

Nietzsche 07-04-2005 08:52 AM

I think you have a clear bet. The number of hands that will call is huge. Very often an Ad or a Kd will bet fearing you will check you top pair behind due to the scary board so his checking makes it more slightly more likely he has no Ad or Kd.

Unless he has shown lots of trickyness prior to this hand I fold to a CR.

imported_Robert Andersson 07-04-2005 11:11 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
very easy check!

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? If villain had the A or K of diamonds he would be alot more aggro on the flop.

I bet and call a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess your right here, if he beats me now he would have shown a sign at the flop. Bet is probably right here. Hope i didnt hurts someones game by giving such advice. Good luck!

banks 07-04-2005 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very easy bet, I'm calling a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff W 07-04-2005 12:38 PM

I bet-call river and I raise the flop.

StellarWind 07-04-2005 01:13 PM

You have to bet any hand down to at least AQ no diamond. Probably you should go lower still.

You should not even be thinking about what to do in case of a checkraise because it has very little to do with your bet/check decision.

1. You will not be checkraised very often with this board.

2. When you do get checkraised you will suffer an EV loss due to your bet of roughly 2 BB regardless of whether you call (and usually lose 2 BB) or fold (and lose 1 BB plus an occasional pot).

The practical approach is just to budget for the occasional 2 BB loss. That means you need 2-1 odds to bet the river and obviously you are getting that with plenty to spare.

Thinking about how to deal with a checkraise is just distracting you from making the obviously correct bet. Streamline your multitabling thought process. If he actually raises then you can think about whether you need to call (I would). The checkraise probably will not even come up so don't devote time and energy to figuring out something you don't need to know.