Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Its all in the luck (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=28486)

jim grass 02-05-2003 05:28 PM

Its all in the luck

Well I played today in a local 5 - 10 game..We were sitting there and someone took down a hand with absolute garbage and someone said its any two cards win...Shockingly most sincerely agreed and I piped in and said you guys seem serious but i disagree and know that the game is very complex..
WELL let me tell ya did I get berrated...They all agreed that I need to take up crazy 8ts etc..Poker is any two cards can win was their adamant conclusion..
Geez needless to say I got my ass kicked on this day by every possible rag you could imagine..
The whole day began badly with the cardroom taking two hours to get the game going then I get called to the table in the middle of lunch and told if i miss my blinds my chips are removed, so I play the two blinds and go back to the restaurant to finish a cold lunch...
Needless to say it set the tone for the whole afternoon..
I recieved more then my share of premium hands and still got my ass kicked by your standard any two cards can win...
In closing they reminded me that my hot shot tight approach doesnt win...In realty I played premium hands etc...As well there was no lack of proper aggressive and creative play on my part...
Raises to these guys is simply building the pot to take down the premium hand raising..
On the way home I laughed my ass off how my play reinforced thier mindset towards the game.....
Cant wait till tomorrow for the rematch...It will be a fun day...
A dont ya just love to hate this game..but for some weird reason you cant..

jim

sucka 02-06-2003 02:34 AM

Re: Its all in the luck

Reading that post just wasted 30 seconds of my life that I'll never get back.

Thanks Jim.

Dynasty 02-06-2003 02:37 AM

The solution is to read faster.

JTG51 02-06-2003 03:06 AM

Wow, you guys are out of my league. That took me 45 seconds.

I guess that explains why you can make so many more posts in a day than I can, Dynasty. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Al Schoonmaker 02-06-2003 10:13 AM

Jim,
Do NOT educate them. You WANT them to believe that any two cards can win. It's a huge part of your edge. As long as they think it's a game of luck, and you know it's a game of skill, you have to win.
Of course, it's frustrating when trash beats you, but you don't want to stop them from playing trash. The worse hands they play, the more money you'll win.
Howard told us that you're coming to town soon. Call me when you get here. Hope to see you at a WPDG meeting.
Regards,
Al

Homer 02-06-2003 11:26 AM

And typing out a reply wasted another 10. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

pudley4 02-06-2003 11:49 AM

I agree.

When I'm playing online, and someone criticizes another player - "How can you call with XX?", I always jump in with the same comment:

"It's all about luck anyway"

Gotta reinforce the any-2-can-win attitude [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

bernie 02-06-2003 03:45 PM

spot on Al

"Do NOT educate them. You WANT them to believe that any two cards can win."

well said....

jim, im wondering what exactly you were trying to accomplish by your comment that it's a complex game. why would you say that? put your ego to the side. the only thing you reinforced is that your more serious about the game than the others. you didnt reinforce their bad play. they did that themselves....later on, after the session, especially if you have a nice win, some of them may think a little more about their game. maybe.

when i hear someone berating someone about the cards one plays, sometimes ive had the berator looking to me for confimation. i just shrug and say something like, 'hell, theyre doing something right, theyre kicking my ass all over the felt.' the fish actually smile at this as they take it as a compliment that theyre out playing others....while the table coach continues to tell everyone how stupid they are because he's telling us how he plays/thinks.....whos the stupid one?

b

Warren Whitmore 02-06-2003 05:07 PM

Hi Jim,
When players said to me in the past its all luck I never knew how to reply so I just said nothing. Then I read wall street wizzards. Many of the people interviewed in the book turned hundreds of dollars into millions. One of the questions asked was "How much of your success was due to chance or luck?" the respondants would become adgitated and insist that in the long run zero % was luck or random chance all of thier fortune was gathered through the combination of hard work and skill. Except one:
He answered 100% of my fortune was built through luck. When pressed to clarify his response he explained that some people were lucky enough to be born smart and that others were not.
He is of course the only respondant who answered the question correctly. Win rate is in that sense 100% luck. The next time someone says to you its all luck smile at them and say yes in is and know that you are correct and honest.

J_V 02-06-2003 05:52 PM

Damn thats a good post.