Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   top two pair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=282218)

quent9 06-28-2005 01:54 PM

top two pair

I've played a decent number of hands with Villian and he generally rates out a TAA, but I've seen him show down a couple big hands where he's played passively - calling down all the way with the nut flush or straight, or betting small to induce a raise when he has top trips (preflop raise with QQ that hit).

Villain has ~$525, I have him covered.

Folded to me in CO with KJo. Raise to $18. Villain calls in BB.

Flop (Pot = ~$35): Kc, 5h, Jc

Check, I bet $30, Villain minraises $60. I have no read on what this means from him. Possible hands include 55, a decent king (AK/KQ - though AK might reraise PF), KJ or a draw - thought OOP I would expect him to call or raise more with a draw. Range that he would call with is somewhat wide, since he probably figures me for a possbily light raise.

I call. Considered raising to $150 straight, which might clarify things. Is this better?

Turn (~150): Ah. Could give him a straight or two pair with AK. Could mean nothing.

Villain bets $60. Hero??

Also - how would you play the turn if he bet larger, or if it's a complete brick and he stills bets $60?

AceHiStation 06-28-2005 02:16 PM

Re: top two pair

First off you didn't post blinds or where this was played. I'm going to assume this is a 2/4NL hand online.

I don't know if many people will agree with me, but I think you're playing KJ for either top two pair or a straight(I know, you were probably just trying to steal or isolate/steal). Now that this has hit an ideal flop, I think on the flop you need to move over the top for about $150. If he moves over the top and you're in the mood to make a monster laydown, here's your chance; otherwise with a call and no flush hitting, I think I'm looking to get my stack in there. I understand the A is a very tricky card, but hopefully with a big reraise on the flop you'll get rid of AK here. Big reraise makes your decisions much easier as you can put him on a narrower range of hands and I think that is the key to the hand. As far as you played it? I think I call the turn and feel horrible about it.

muck_nutz 06-28-2005 02:29 PM

Re: top two pair

[ QUOTE ]

Villain has ~$525, I have him covered.

Folded to me in CO with KJo. Raise to $18. Villain calls in BB.

Flop (Pot = ~$35): Kc, 5h, Jc

Check, I bet $30, Villain minraises $60. I have no read on what this means from him. Possible hands include 55, a decent king (AK/KQ - though AK might reraise PF), KJ or a draw - thought OOP I would expect him to call or raise more with a draw. Range that he would call with is somewhat wide, since he probably figures me for a possbily light raise.

I call. Considered raising to $150 straight, which might clarify things. Is this better?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no read on him with a fairly reasonable stack and a hand you want to get information about. All he knows about your hand is that you fired from steal raise positon and then bet a flop with two high cards on it. And then you call his c-r? This gives him a chance to milk you if he is ahead or get away from it if he is behind.

You are in position so if it was a player that you could read well the call _might_ be justified, but online in a situation with a blank opponent I'd raise to define the situation. Make it ~$150 and see what happens.