Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Winning at Play money any indication for real money?? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=281730)

06-27-2005 08:01 PM

Winning at Play money any indication for real money??

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post. I'm winning at Play money 5-10$ and I'm wondering if this is any indication of how well I might expect to do in the real money rooms at .50-1.00$ or maybe 1-2.00$ rooms. I've been playing for about 3 month with 3700 hands played this month and staying around 30 to 35% of flops seen and 70 go 80% hands won. I just started to track my stats this month and I have 87 hours of play since the first of this month. I've won 4560 chips playing stictly 5-10 play money. Since the 10th of June I have had 22 playing sessions with 16 of them winning and 6 losing. I'm hoping for some input from some more experienced players. My thanks in advance for any comments you might post.

bhunter
bhunter

SteveM 06-27-2005 08:07 PM

Re: Winning at Play money any indication for real money??

Welcome to the forums! Check out the FAQs - there's some good stuff in there.

To answer your question, in my opinion play money tables are good for getting a feel for the site's software (and game rules, if necessary) and not much else. Even a $0.05/$0.10 game would be a much better test of your skills than a play money game. Also, you might want to bring that VPIP down a bit if you're playing full ring games.

Good luck!

Steve

jojobinks 06-27-2005 08:08 PM

you can expect to do that well at the .02/.04 limit game at poker stars. you most certainly can not expect to do that well at .5/1. i suggest you read up, start at micro limits at PS, and read the microlimit forum here.

righty how about bringing down your vpip. buy Pokertracker, and play 10k hands or so at the lowest level you can bear to play. the microfaq'll give you an idea of where your numbers should be.

good luck and welcome to the boards.

AKQJ10 06-27-2005 08:34 PM

Welcome to the site!

Here's an FAQ answer to your question: http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Beg...money_games.3F

VP[$]IP = "Voluntarily put money in pot" - that's covered in the FAQ too but basically lowering your VP$IP meaning playing tighter, i.e. don't play as many hands.

06-27-2005 09:51 PM

WOW, thanks for the quick reply from all of you. I have purchased your books and I'm am studying them everyday, not just reading them. They have been a great help. With some play and studying the books the light bulb comes on and I understand alittle more. I will start doing what you have suggested and start at the micro levels. Thanks again for the help and quick reply.

bhunter

TaoTe 06-27-2005 09:52 PM

I don't think you can make any assumptions based on your play at play money tables. At play money tables anything goes and there are no consequences to your actions. If you lose all of your play money you simply hit the refill button and you're right back in the action. The only thing good about play money is when learning the basics of a new game. I started playing hours of Omaha8 at the play money tables to get a general feel and understanding of the game. After that though I knew that I would learn nothing else from play money and began playing at the microlimits. It seems as though you already have a good enough understanding of the basics and should start off playing at the micros, or by playing in small-buy tournaments because you will gain a lot of real money experience at a low cost. Good luck.

AlphaWice 06-28-2005 05:29 AM

Actually, you can get a strong indication of your SNG play, by playing specifically the playmoney SNGS at stars. If you can get up to, say, $250000 play money at stars, and consistently beat the $25k P$ sngs, you are ready for low limit SNGS.

This is because, normally playmoney is replenishable - but at stars they only let you have $3k an hour. This causes the players playing playmoney near the top to be comparable to an $11 player.

BlackRain 06-30-2005 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post. I'm winning at Play money 5-10$ and I'm wondering if this is any indication of how well I might expect to do in the real money rooms at .50-1.00$ or maybe 1-2.00$ rooms. I've been playing for about 3 month with 3700 hands played this month and staying around 30 to 35% of flops seen and 70 go 80% hands won. I just started to track my stats this month and I have 87 hours of play since the first of this month. I've won 4560 chips playing stictly 5-10 play money. Since the 10th of June I have had 22 playing sessions with 16 of them winning and 6 losing. I'm hoping for some input from some more experienced players. My thanks in advance for any comments you might post.

bhunter
bhunter

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning at play money is only an indication of winning at play money. It would be a major mistake on your part to start at the .50/1 or 1/2 tables IMO. Start at the lowest limits no matter your bankroll.

AKQJ10 06-30-2005 02:45 PM

True micro-limits

It dawned on me that perhaps the OP is coming from the Party-and-skins world where $0.50/$1 is the lowest limit. If so, I would suggest setting up an account somewhere that offers $0.05/0.10 or lower. Pokerstars has $0.01/.02 I believe (although at higher limits it's known for being tough, which probably doesn't matter to the .01 game). Pacific starts at .05 and is incredibly fishy regardless of limit. Paradise is decent and has .02.

With any of these, read up on bonus whoring/hunting and rakeback before you open an account.

Good luck!

Jeffage 06-30-2005 03:26 PM

Re: True micro-limits

I agree with most of the advice in this thread, but I don't think it's necessary to tell new players to play penny poker. The 50 cent/1 dollar games are mighty beatable if you study and if you get killed, it shouldn't hurt that bad. I think most people wouldn't find playing 2 cent/4 cent interesting at all; if that's all you can afford, that's one thing...but I don't think most working professionals will be entertained playing the super low limits. Also, I personally wouldn't play well at a limit where the money means absolutely nothing. Maybe it's just me.

Jeff