Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   High Roller (Stu U Movie) Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=281303)

108suited 06-27-2005 04:57 AM

High Roller (Stu U Movie) Question

So I've watched this movie 3 times now. I enjoyed it very much. The acting was good, it had some cool original music, and the story was good. Also, I happen to have the 1997 Final Table on VHS, and I rewatched it after the movie. That added to the movie expereince for me. And, I found that in the movie, Michael I. looked a lot like Stuey with the sunglasses on. I also have one of the other years that he won the WSOP on tape and enjoyed it also. Might watch it again later tonight (have not watched the old one in a few months)

Question:
Who is the guy that Stuey is talking to in the movie? I mean the guy that he tells his "story" too. That was a key part of the movie since Stuey was trying to guess who he was.

Other comments such as how you liked or disliked the movie also welcome.

lastsamurai 06-27-2005 05:27 AM

Re: High Roller (Stu U Movie) Question

i think he was talking to DEATH.

sexdrugsmoney 06-27-2005 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I've watched this movie 3 times now. I enjoyed it very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this movie sucked hogs anus.

Don't get me wrong, for a TV movie it's watchable, and I'm a Michael Imperioli fan, but whoever made this should be disappointed in themselves for not being faithful to the truth.

If you read some stories about Stu Unger, he led an incredibly interesting life, with many of those stories revolving around Cocaine ... everything from his nose collapsing to spending weeks in hotel rooms doing so much coke he was incoherant.

This movie spent too much time focusing on Stu's childhood, as if to warn the viewer "hey, this is the reason he goes off the rails later" but then never addresses his later Cocaine habit, only merely touching upon it in a G rated sort of way.

I'm guessing this was a decision based on sympathy to the Ungar family, but fair suck of the sav, the guy is dead and a good movie should show his greatest achievements AND his greatest weaknesses.

pfff.

Stellastarr 06-27-2005 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I've watched this movie 3 times now. I enjoyed it very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this movie sucked hogs anus.

Don't get me wrong, for a TV movie it's watchable, and I'm a Michael Imperioli fan, but whoever made this should be disappointed in themselves for not being faithful to the truth.

If you read some stories about Stu Unger, he led an incredibly interesting life, with many of those stories revolving around Cocaine ... everything from his nose collapsing to spending weeks in hotel rooms doing so much coke he was incoherant.

This movie spent too much time focusing on Stu's childhood, as if to warn the viewer "hey, this is the reason he goes off the rails later" but then never addresses his later Cocaine habit, only merely touching upon it in a G rated sort of way.

I'm guessing this was a decision based on sympathy to the Ungar family, but fair suck of the sav, the guy is dead and a good movie should show his greatest achievements AND his greatest weaknesses.

pfff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is fitting seeing your screen name. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Skeme- 06-27-2005 12:42 PM

He was talking to Death. How did you not get this?

CollinEstes 06-27-2005 12:43 PM

Been a month or two since I saw it but I believe that he was dieing in the end and the person he was speaking too was his old friend/ father figure from New York. Forgot his name. Since he was dead I believe he was speaking to him in his imagination as his life was "flashing" before his eyes. Just an idea not sure if it is right.

MoreWineII 06-27-2005 12:49 PM

I didn't care for the movie. Too much babbling, not enough about a.) poker and b.) his drug habit.

irish79 06-27-2005 06:10 PM

I thought it was Death, or the Devil.

irish79 06-27-2005 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't care for the movie. Too much babbling, not enough about a.) poker and b.) his drug habit

[/ QUOTE ]
couldn't agree more!

Jordan Olsommer 06-27-2005 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this movie sucked hogs anus sitting on a windowsill in Vegas in a bowl of expired mayonnaise.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp