Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Daily Hand Post: "Amazingly Standard" AQ? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=280020)

jason_t 06-25-2005 12:02 AM

Daily Hand Post: \"Amazingly Standard\" AQ?

Two hands today since I missed a bunch while in Vegas.

Read on villain: 46.9/.42/1.00 after 940 hands with a preflop cold call % of 28.26%.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: I am MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">I bet</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">I bet</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (7.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
I check, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, I call.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

beset7 06-25-2005 12:21 AM

Re: Daily Hand Post: \"Amazingly Standard\" AQ?

It's hard to comment on this hand without any player reads but if villain is aggressive then I play it the same way.

shant 06-25-2005 12:26 AM

As I said to Jason over IM:

"seems pretty standard. both bets are standard for me and on the river he can have missed diamonds or some wierd backdoor draw that he now thinks he can get you to fold on the river with, so i call."

aK13 06-25-2005 12:33 AM

46 VPIP with 1 aggro usually means he's pretty aggressive -- I like to call the river here too (The flop and turn bets are standard -- for me, anyway)

SmileyEH 06-25-2005 12:38 AM

zzzzzzz, nice hand.

-SmileyEH

Jake (The Snake) 06-25-2005 12:40 AM

This is how I play these kind of hands so I hope it's the right line.

It makes sense since on the flop and turn you are trying to win the pot and may also have the best hand. Betting the river doesn't seem right as he won't call with worse hands and won't fold better hands.

I guess the only thing to think about is calling the river bet or not, but I'd tend to think you're good here often enough. Folding for one bet on the river against a guy who has shown no strength and could easily be bluffing can not be a big mistake if it is at all.

jason_t 06-25-2005 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
zzzzzzz, nice hand.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really hoping for an elaboration of thoughts beyond this, perhaps including an attempt to analyze how often we're good here.

KDawgCometh 06-25-2005 12:59 AM

boringly standard. I wouldn't be able to come up with an exact figure as to how many times that we are good here, but for this opponent and this board, I think we are good here enough to call this

HolyBejeesus 06-25-2005 01:07 AM

This type of opponent is somewhat aggressive and is precisely the type that I would think would bet a missed draw. That said, I don't think this hand is "boringly standard." I only call the bet because the pot is so large.

Nick C 06-25-2005 01:24 AM

I'm responding blind.

I think the diamond flush draw and wheel draw possibilities probably make it worth a call at the end (though even if I knew Villain had been chasing a flush, I'd be worried about that jack on the river). An aggression factor of 1 isn't really that passive for someone as loose as Villain, and he's probably had some success with river bluffs in the past.

When I call with ace-high on the river, I usually don't win. But I win often enough that I wonder sometimes if I should make such calls more frequently.