Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Is this weak or ok? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=279128)

therockofgibraltar 06-23-2005 05:32 PM

Is this weak or ok?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

irishpint 06-23-2005 05:35 PM

Re: Is this weak or ok?

do you know anything about the raiser? otherwise it looks fine to me.

TredWel 06-23-2005 06:36 PM

I might not even bet the flop. The pot, while not terribly small, isn't terribly big, and the board is somewhat coordinated and probably hit one of four opponents. However, it's not a terrible move by any means, and I may do it as well depending on how the table is playing.

The turn fold is fine. If button is raising two clubs or some other junk, good for him - we'll make more from him in the long run. We're not good here enough times to make calling him down in this small pot worthwhile.

666shooter 06-23-2005 07:58 PM

I bet the flop to see where I'm at. Without a read on any of the players, the fold on the turn is fine.

@bsolute_luck 06-23-2005 08:47 PM

anyone raise preflop? rest of the hand seems fine.

Jaran 06-24-2005 01:23 AM

Move me one more seat in position (MP2), with still only one caller, and I like the raise.

-Jaran

Shillx 06-24-2005 01:27 AM

That is a really fishy turn raise. Do you know anything about the button? I guess folding is okay in that spot.

Brad

no1super2001 06-24-2005 02:07 AM

Perhaps it is weak, but I would never lead out with 5 players still in the hand here. The notion that you can bet this to gain information is, IMO at these limits, absurd. There is also a two flush on the board.

If you want to see where you are in the hand, let it check through. Your equity edge here is effectively zero.

no1super2001 06-24-2005 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the flop to see where I'm at. Without a read on any of the players, the fold on the turn is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is an expensive way to determine you have a weak hand. May I suggest this...? Ed Miller's Post

This refers to raising for information, but I think there is value in a broader application.

Aaron W. 06-24-2005 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps it is weak, but I would never lead out with 5 players still in the hand here. The notion that you can bet this to gain information is, IMO at these limits, absurd. There is also a two flush on the board.

If you want to see where you are in the hand, let it check through. Your equity edge here is effectively zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does letting it check through help you out?

A bet to gain information is definitely wrong. However, a bet for *VALUE* and to get *SAFE OUTS* is almost certainly correct. It is reasonably likely that nobody has a king and you would like to fold out hands like QT and J5 so that your hand has the best chance of remaining to be the best.

I would dispute that your equity is zero (I'll grant that you don't have a huge share), but a bet and a couple folds increases that equity quite a bit as you're folding worse hands with decent draws against you.