Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   What's a Straddle? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=279013)

Ironman 06-23-2005 02:13 PM

What\'s a Straddle?

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bother you all with this because it sounds like it might be more of a HE play, but I've read a number of people make reference to a "straddle" when discussing defense of a big or small blind.

Can someone explain what a straddle is.

Thanks,

Dave

Wintermute 06-23-2005 02:19 PM

Re: What\'s a Straddle?

It's when UTG raises the BB before the cards are dealt. The raise is live, meaning UTG potentially closes the action preflop. This can be useful if you want to generate action, create an image of being an idiot, or piss off the BB. I do it about 90% of the time in a live game.

DemonDeac 06-23-2005 02:34 PM

its the greatest thing ever when ur in a tight passive table
creates action as sometimes u might get a 3-bet straddle and some better action
i love to do it even though i usually am dealt [censored] when i do it and some guy is dealt winners everytime he does it

Ironman 06-23-2005 02:39 PM

Got it...I love it....I will try it tonight at my game at the club. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Wintermute 06-23-2005 02:46 PM

Dave, if you're playing NL, try this one. Straddle and if it limps around to you, move all in (don't look at your cards for your own amusement, nobody will notice). Everybody will fold about 90% of the time. The other 10% you're [censored], but it's fun anyway.

Then (here's the key) while you're stacking all the limps and blinds, start praying for a hand so you can do the exact same move from the BB very next hand. Guaranteed you get called.

graarrg 06-23-2005 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dave, if you're playing NL, try this one. Straddle and if it limps around to you, move all in (don't look at your cards for your own amusement, nobody will notice). Everybody will fold about 90% of the time. The other 10% you're [censored], but it's fun anyway.

Then (here's the key) while you're stacking all the limps and blinds, start praying for a hand so you can do the exact same move from the BB very next hand. Guaranteed you get called.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite thing, EVER. Unfortunately, you can't straddle online, so I usually do this from the blinds or on the button.

chaos 06-23-2005 04:55 PM

Also in many card rooms the straddle does not count as a raise. Say it is a limit $10/20 game with a three raise maximum. The SB is $5, the BB is $10 and the straddle is $20. There are still three $10 raises available, so it could cost $50 to see the flop.

Some rooms might even allow players to restraddle from UTG+1.

Solami17 06-23-2005 09:21 PM

As a tight, aggressive player myself, a straddle in a $1-2 NL game full of crazy idiots is a good way to get the action going. The guy to my immediale left once raised to $20 after i straddled it and suredly enough i look down at a couple of rockets. After i move all in i took a healty pot!

UATrewqaz 06-23-2005 09:56 PM

I've read in several books, you should never call a straddle, you must raise if you are going to play.

Just passing that thought along.

kyleb 06-24-2005 12:16 AM

Also, when you straddle, you create an extra opportunity to bet. That means five bets for most games preflop, and six bets in Vegas.