Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Pounding with middle pair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=276798)

J.R. 06-20-2005 02:50 PM

Pounding with middle pair

2 hands, similar theme, different lines. I don't think I am too indiscirminately aggressive, but when/why do you shut down and when do you continue in spots like these. Is middle pair/bad kicker and an opponent not noted for his/her aggressiveness a recipe for spewing?

I kinda get caught up in the they are loose and haven't raised (not that they necessarily will), I suppose I am running bad but when do you stop pushing in spots like this, if ever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check-raise style

41/12/1.5/38

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, CO calls.

Turn: (4 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betting is fun

54/12/1.2/42

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (2.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (4.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

Surfbullet 06-20-2005 03:06 PM

Re: Pounding with middle pair

Hand1:
I like the flop raise, esp because there are so many bet-when-checked-to players around.

However, by the river I am having trouble coming up with hands that you beat that will consistently call, because the ace is a scary card, and may cause folds from hands like 44. Will you be able to fold out a T? doubtful. I think I check-fold this river - he'll give us a free showdown with many hands we beat, and some that beat us...unless he is known to be blufftacular in which case I'd check-call.

Hand2:

I like it. You can protect your hand on the flop with a bet, and when this passive calling station is chasing you down I'd say you have plenty of value in both a turn and river bet.

Surf

MAxx 06-20-2005 03:10 PM

It's usually read-driven for me.

That first one though, I'd be temped to checkfold river against a typical opponent. It depends.

I feel like much profit comes from value betting/ maintaining the lead with second pair type hands.

But I do consider reads a ton.

On the side, the other day I was dealt 42o in the BB. I flopped bottom pair (yes a 2).

I led every street and he called with 9 high [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

MAxx 06-20-2005 03:14 PM

oh yeah...... and number 2 is standard for me.

Lmn55d 06-20-2005 07:51 PM

I think hand 2 is fine. In hand 1 I like betting out the flop better than checkraising to ensure it doesn't get checked through. The river I think you should definitely check and either fold or call, depending on just how bad the guy is (no real draws on flop). I think there's a lot more better hand he'll check through (+ poss bluffs) than worse ones he'll call with.