Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Laying down A 2 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=268480)

Ironman 06-08-2005 09:22 AM

Laying down A 2

Well, I finally did it last night.

I was playing on UB for about 6 hours...almost completely card dead for that time at a 1/2 table. It was very frustrating, but I just kept telling myself to be patient. The good cards will start coming.

Well, when they finally did come (for just a moment) I ended up with the nut A 2 low in early position after the turn and what happens? The guy to my left raises, the guy to his left re-raises and the final guy calls.

Damn.

I hate to lay down the nuts (especially when I'm looking at bad cards all night) but I did.

Saved me a lot of money of course with two other nut lows and the other guy having the high hand.

The only highlight was getting my second straight flush in two nights, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but that only helped dig me out of the hole a little ways.

Dave

grandgnu 06-08-2005 10:23 AM

Re: Laying down A 2

Congrats, tough laydown.

I was playing a single 2/4 table on Empire last night. I'm dealt A/A/2/3 single-suited and I raise, get two callers.

Flop is A/5/J with two hearts (not my suits). I bet and get called by both players. Turn is 10 of diamonds, it's checked to me, I opt to take the free card. River is 3 of hearts, screwing up my possibility for low and putting a potential straight and flush on the board. First player bets and the other player calls and my hand is now 3rd best. *sigh* It was a nice big pot too, was hoping to scoop it, but got screwed. *pout*

Made a nice pot after that to end a few dollars up for the night. And I've improved my VPIP to 22.09, but my Won$SD is still hovering around 51%, which sucks.

grandgnu 06-08-2005 11:31 AM

Re: Argh

A/A/3/6 double suited. Flop is A/3/9. An opponent I have noted as an "idiot" stuck around with 9/9 and the turn was a 9, she won a $25 pot off me on the $0.50/$1 tables. Catches her miracle one-f'ing outer on the turn, grrrrr

toots 06-08-2005 11:35 AM

I did that to someone the other day. I mean, I was the idiot. I was playing late position with A3xx (or some similar garbage) and flopped bottom set with 33K. It was clear from the betting from across the table that tiltman had a KK to match the K from the flop.

But, like a total donk, I decided to check/call it down to the river. It's a leak in my game: even when I'm pretty sure I'm beat, I'll often chase just on the off-chance that my read is wrong.

As it turned out, my read was dead on, but I caught the case 3 on the river, and just to be extra nasty, check-raised tiltman.

God was he pissed. Ranted on for the next few hands. I goaded him just a bit, because I can't resist goading a table captain on tilt.

You know, sometimes, it pays to play like a donk, and now he's got me pegged as absolutely clueless, which will just make it more likely that he'll chase me in the future.

flair1239 06-08-2005 12:59 PM

Re: Laying down A 2

I had a simaliar situation last night involving a made wheel/nut low on the flop. I managed to get out on the turn after the board three-flushed, but only after caliing a pot sized flop bet and a raise.

I understand how you feel, it was obvious what had happend, but the hand was so pretty to look at. I was just mesmerised.

Alchemist 06-08-2005 01:11 PM

Since we're talking about awful beats, I thought this was a good opportunity to show a hand from last night. UTG is the same guy in my other post who I think saw every single flop and almost never folded.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (16.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 23.50 BB

UTG shows [ J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ] and wins $22.50 with HI: a full house, jacks full of eights
CO lost $7 with [ 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] HI: a flush, queen high

MP2 was pissed

Alchemist 06-08-2005 07:03 PM

Sorry, but just had to post this one more thing.

PTO stats for the suckout artist above:
Hands: 59
VP$IP: 96.61%
W$WSF: 44.83%
Went to showdown: 79.31%

and the kicker...
amount won: $43.00
bb/100hands: 72.88

beernutz 06-08-2005 10:46 PM

That beat is not that awful. You are only about a 3:1 favorite preflop and just slightly better than 3:1 on the flop. Expect to lose that matchup one of every four times you play it.

[ QUOTE ]
Since we're talking about awful beats, I thought this was a good opportunity to show a hand from last night. UTG is the same guy in my other post who I think saw every single flop and almost never folded.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (16.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 23.50 BB

UTG shows [ J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ] and wins $22.50 with HI: a full house, jacks full of eights
CO lost $7 with [ 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] HI: a flush, queen high

MP2 was pissed

[/ QUOTE ]

Alchemist 06-08-2005 11:12 PM

Well the point I was trying to spotlight wasn't so much how I lost, but how UTG won. The way MP2 was betting led me to believe he had the A-high flush.

At the flop, A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] X-X is a 97-3% favorite over UTG's hand to win high.

wickedcoolc 06-09-2005 10:11 AM

grandgnu, this likely won't make you feel any better...actually i know it won't but wanted to share a time I knocked quad 9s... it was actually just a week or so ... I was playing a live heads up O8B match and finally won it on a hand in which I rivered a J-high straight flush, to his 4 9s.