Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Kind of Technical Weightlifing Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=267721)

xadrez 06-07-2005 11:28 AM

Kind of Technical Weightlifing Question

Sumo Deadlifts...

Better during Leg Workout, or Back Workout???

bernie 06-07-2005 11:30 AM

Re: Kind of Technical Weightlifing Question

I know what a dead lift is. What the hell is a sumo dead lift?

b

slickpoppa 06-07-2005 11:33 AM

They work both your legs and back, but you should probably not do them on the same day as a really heavy leg workout cause they will hit your legs hard. However, if you want to use the deadlifts as the core of your leg routine, then you could do it on the same day as legs. Basically, it depends on what else you are doing. If you want to do really heavy squats and leg presses, then do the deadlifts on another day. Also, why are you doing sumo deadlifts? Most people are much more comfortable with traditional deadlifts.

vulturesrow 06-07-2005 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sumo Deadlifts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Either or really. So long as it complements the other lifts.

slickpoppa 06-07-2005 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what a dead lift is. What the hell is a sumo dead lift?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

A sumo deadlift is when you use a really wide stance and put your arms between your legs as opposed to outside your legs.

ceyoung 06-07-2005 11:39 AM

most lifters do sumo deadlifts because it is uncomfortable to do regular deadlifts. you'll mostly see tall guys that have trouble getting down to the bar doing sumo deadlifts. as far as any benefit over normal deadlifts, i think its negligable.

xadrez 06-07-2005 11:52 AM

I like Sumos better as they seem to be awkward to perform. I never could get good form with regualar dealifts, even with low, low weight. I think it might be because my arms are slightly long for my height, I dont know...

As for my current routine I do squats and romanians deadlifts on Fridays (I do the romanian deads with pretty light weight), so I was thinking of putting the Sumo's on Monday, when I do my Chest/Back routine. Of course Id subtract a Back exercise if I added the Sumos...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice thus far...

gvibes 06-07-2005 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sumo Deadlifts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Deadlifts seem to work my back more than my legs (or my back is weaker than my legs...). However, for me, every day (I lift) is a leg day!

xadrez 06-07-2005 12:02 PM

Leg day is the best, isnt it? Theres nothing better than hobbling out of the gym.

pshreck 06-07-2005 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Leg day is the best, isnt it? Theres nothing better than hobbling out of the gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you are lifting correctly.