Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Suited Connectors! (low content) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=266949)

marchron 06-06-2005 12:01 PM

Suited Connectors! (low content)

When I was having my butt handed to me at the 1/2 tables and sought advice from an acquaintance, he said that my no-limit background probably resulted in me playing too tight, and that I should include hands like suited connectors.

I'd never understood the big deal about them, though. In my no-limit games I'd throw them in if my table image was tight, reasoning that if I'm going to be playing nonstandard hands I should be using ones with good straight and flush draws instead of complete junk like 10/3 offsuit. (I'd also use them to steal pots from weaker players.)

Even after that advice and the recommendations in SSHE, I'm still not a huge fan of them. Until I feel more confident in my postflop play, I'm a lot more comfortable playing big cards. But it helps when I have a hand like this:

.25/.50, 9-max, 6-handed

Preflop: <font color="green">marchron</font> is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">UTG folds</font>, <font color="green">marchron calls</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">BT folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB completes</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB checks</font>, BB checks, <font color="green">marchron bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB calls</font>, <font color="#666666">BB folds</font>.

Turn: (3.5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB checks</font>, <font color="green">marchron bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font> . . .

(Hmm, I smell a 7.)

. . . <font color="green">marchron reraises</font>, <font color="#666666">CO folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB calls</font>.

River: (10.5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB checks</font>, <font color="green">marchron bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB calls</font>.

Final Pot: 12 BB (after rake)
SB has 3h 7s (three of a kind, sevens)
marchron has 9d 8d (straight flush, ten-high).
Outcome: marchron wins 12 BB.

Rev. Good Will 06-06-2005 12:07 PM

Re: Suited Connectors! (low content)

hand = good

+ you played well

format = bad

+ you included your thought process, which is good
+ highlighting your actions is good too

but...
- use red primarily to highlight somebody raising or betting
- don't include results
- include reads if you have

Tom_W 06-06-2005 12:18 PM

It looks like it turned out quite nicley. I like the flop bet. I like the turn bet.

These type of hands are good because they will yield alot of money when your draws hit. From early position you may think about mucking that hand though. To help with your postflop play its quite simple really. Base your draws on maths, count your outs, check your pot odds and call or fold depending on whether your getting the right price and use your judgement to lay down the draw if say you think your opponent has a full boat. Also betting is better than calling so it was good to bet out with your draw.

Its great when a draw works out so-long as your getting the right price on them they will make you money in the long term.

marchron 06-06-2005 12:19 PM

It wasn't really meant to be an advice post, just a "Hey, I got a straight flush! Wheeeeeeeeee!" post.

Wheeeeeeeeee!

benkath1 06-06-2005 12:23 PM

vnh.
I like the turn play.
There's a reason you don't play 73o. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

bottomset 06-06-2005 01:55 PM

the preflop limp isn't good

why did you 3bet the turn?

congrats and all, but you didn't play this well

topspin 06-06-2005 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (3.5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB checks</font>, <font color="green">marchron bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="green">marchron reraises</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this play. You do realize you have just 8-high at the moment, right?

benkath1 06-06-2005 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any equity in and OESFD? Not trying to argue, just would like to know.

bottomset 06-06-2005 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any equity in and OESFD? Not trying to argue, just would like to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

not on a paired board, with only 2opponents, one of which you are forcing to call 2 cold

unpaired board you might have a razor thin edge

benkath1 06-06-2005 02:07 PM

ty. Leak plugged. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]