Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Check through turn or blast away? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=266826)

Lmn55d 06-06-2005 06:21 AM

Check through turn or blast away?

What do you guys think about the turn here? Villain seems like a LAG, he's checkraised bluffed me on the turn, so I was afraid of that happening here...however I could very well have the best hand and checking gives him a free card and lets him bluff me on the river

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6 BB

cartman 06-06-2005 08:35 AM

Re: Check through turn or blast away?

I think you need to choose your poison before you act on the turn. It think on this board (one that he could call the flop with practically anything on) your choices are (in no particular order):

1)Bet the turn and risk being checkraised
2)Check behind him on the turn and usually CALL on the river

I think checking the turn and folding the river with this hand is too weak against a LAG because he WILL bet the river regardless of his hand.

Cartman

ctv1116 06-06-2005 08:43 AM

You are in a lose lose situation, but I still bet and fold to a raise. Obviously I check through if he calls the turn.

ALL1N 06-06-2005 08:44 AM

Why didn't you call the river?

Jeff W 06-06-2005 08:57 AM

Good post, Cartman.

I like checking behind on the turn and calling on the river against an opponent who 1. threatens to check-raise bluff/semi-bluff me and 2. will auto-bet the river.

The nice thing is that because of the flop texture, villain will have a wide hand range on the river.

Party 5/10: Checking the turn to induce a bluffs...

My Orig. Post in that thread makes me look like a newbie, but the analysis I made later in the thread may be useful.

Lmn55d 06-06-2005 09:48 AM

yup, right after this hand was over I realized if I checked the turn I had to call the river.

Lmn55d 06-06-2005 10:06 AM

Jeff thanks for the link, that was helpful. I think the problem here is that I don't really like making calldowns with King high...if I had an ace it would be easy. Maybe I need to start making more of them.

wheelz 06-06-2005 10:10 AM

I was going to say, from the way your post was worded: you "have to let him" bluff you... just because you have less than ace high doesn't mean it's a sin to call. KQ beats a lot of bluffs too.