Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   WSOP Event # 2 trip report (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=265363)

Shaman 06-03-2005 07:59 PM

WSOP Event # 2 trip report

I had 1600 UTG, closing minutes of the second level (blinds are 25-50). I call with 56 of clubs ready to fold if there was a big raise behind me (in my mind I had a speculative ambush hand which I could easily fold if I don't flop). It is folded to the player 4 off the button who raises to 150. Button calls. Both blinds fold. I call. Three handed with 525 in the pot.

Flop comes 9c3cJs. I bet 600 as a semi-bluff with a flush draw. Pre-flop raiser moves all-in and covers me (he had around 200 more than me). Button folds. I call knowing that if I made my flush that it would be good and I was getting proper odds to call. I put my opponent on a big one pair.

My question is, did I pot commit myself with my 600 flop semi-bluff? Should I have bet less?

henrikrh 06-03-2005 11:21 PM

Re: WSOP Event # 2 trip report

Preflop fold, end of discussion.

imo.

hotdog da 2rd 06-04-2005 06:24 AM

nice ambush.

TriGonzo 06-04-2005 08:22 AM

Out of position, with 2 players to act, check or probe (250). BTW, you're not pot committed yet, although it feels like it, but your pot odds are right to call at this point in the hand (525pot+600raise+600raisecall+850reraise)=2575 in the pot, your chips left 850/2575= 33%. Just hope he doesn't have the AJ of clubs [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

SpeakEasy 06-04-2005 08:31 AM

PF: fold

Flop: bet 200

betgo 06-04-2005 01:47 PM

Preflop fold. You can sometimes limp with suited connectors UTG, but the money is not deep enough and you are not a better player than your opponents. There is a good chnce the pot will be raised as here and you wind up playing an inferior hand out of position. A lot of times someone will put in a real raise and you will have to fold.

If you are going to play the hand, you might raise, depending on how the table is playing. That way you have a good chance to pick up the blinds. Since you raised UTG, you can represent AK or AQ if an ace flops and an overpair on a low flop. If you actually connect strongly, people will have no idea what you have.

I would check the flop. If it is checked around, you get a free card to make your flush. Otherwise, you can fold, call, or checkraise allin, based on your read of the action.

Shaman 06-04-2005 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise, you can fold, call, or checkraise allin, based on your read of the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the choices that I cut myself from by wrongly overbetting the pot on my flop semi-bluff. When I did what I did I was left with only one choice (after he had raised) and that was to make a pot odds call (I was getting 3 to 1 odds as a 1.9 to 1 underdog and I knew the better wasn't going for a better flush draw). Had I checked or bet maybe 1/3 or 1/2 what I actually did, I would have had all of these choices which would be made based on my read of the flop actions and reactions.

Vincent Lepore 06-04-2005 04:59 PM

Check the flop.

Vince

Equal 06-04-2005 06:05 PM

You know I used to do crap like this all the time and always wondered why I never could build up a big stack by the middle of the tournament.

There's a time to limp with 65s and it wasn't then. Don't chip spew.

betgo 06-04-2005 11:03 PM

The other thing to notice is the preflop raise to 3xBB with a limper in the pot. In pot limit, he could raise to 4 1/2 x BB. It seems like he wants you and maybe another player to call the raise. To me it looks like a big pair, particularly when he raises allin on the flop. You don't mind playing a suited connector against a big pair in a raised pot with deep money in a cash game. However, unless the flop hits you really hard, you are at a disadvantage.