Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   99 in sb, flop an overpair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=256972)

fisherman112 05-22-2005 09:30 AM

99 in sb, flop an overpair

pokerstars 2/4, utg raises, 2 callers, i call with 99 in sb, bb folds

flop:8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
i check, utg bets, call, call, i raise, all call

turn:T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
i bet, utg calls, call, fold

river:6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
i check, both check

thoughts? i felt i played the hand for maximum value against overcards or A8 and minimum loss against an overpair (toss on the flop to a 3 bet)

Nick Royale 05-22-2005 09:32 AM

Re: 99 in sb, flop an overpair

Bet the river.

Escape 05-22-2005 09:40 AM

easy riverbet.

WillMagic 05-22-2005 09:48 AM

Lead out on the flop.

Bet the river.

Will

fisherman112 05-22-2005 09:51 AM

if im against overcards, no ones calling, if im against tt or jj, im just getting more money in with the worst hand. why not induce a possible bluff from ak or aq. im obviously calling a bet here, i just feel like a bet gets 2 folds, which is what would have happened, since i was against AK and AQ.

Nick Royale 05-22-2005 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
I need to agree with this. We don't wnat to tie additional overs to this hand. Bet and hope that overs raise us. Call down from there.

fisherman112 05-22-2005 09:55 AM

ok, why lead the flop. i get 3 calls and i have no information about my hand, or i get raised by the pfr and i dont know whether he's just continuation betting, trying to push off other overcards or actually has a better hand. i have to 3 bet to find out and if he just calls i could bet the turn and get raised, having invested a small bet extra when im probably drawing slim. by c/r i establish my hand strength for 2 bets instead of 3, especially against a utg raiser where im either a huge dog or he has ak. on top of that, the c/r ties on the other two players for 2 bets on the flop instead of 1 from leading out (or possibly 0 if UTG raises)

if you guys are going to tell me to take a certain line, give some reasons why you prefer it.

JaysonWeberFCP 05-22-2005 09:56 AM

Lead out on the flop and bet the river. You didn't get maximum value on this, You'd know if someone had 10 10 or J J from previous bets.

bet the river for value, you have the best hand here.

Nick Royale 05-22-2005 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
which is what would have happened, since i was against AK and AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now this is being result oriented. You'll be up against a pair of 8's PP's like 77 66 often enough to bet this. If I had a read on PFR as over aggressive I like checking to induce a bluff, but since you don't...

EDIT: the average player will value bet hands like JJ if you check, but check with AQ-ish hands. You'll let him get value when he's ahead and you'll not get any value when behind. As said, you need a read to make check/calling good.

Nick Royale 05-22-2005 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, why lead the flop. i get 3 calls and i have no information about my hand

[/ QUOTE ]
If you get 3 calls you know you're ahead almost every time.

[ QUOTE ]
or i get raised by the pfr and i dont know whether he's just continuation betting, trying to push off other overcards or actually has a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
We like him forcing out the others. He will do it with overs a fair ammount of the time. Calling down from the flop raise is profitable, why do you need to know where you at? Check the turn and let him bluff/value bet again. A case could be made to lead the river, but I think check/calling is fine.

[ QUOTE ]
i have to 3 bet to find out and if he just calls i could bet the turn and get raised

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't 3-bet!

[ QUOTE ]
by c/r i establish my hand strength for 2 bets instead of 3, especially against a utg raiser where im either a huge dog or he has ak. on top of that, the c/r ties on the other two players for 2 bets on the flop instead of 1 from leading out (or possibly 0 if UTG raises)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think our hand is too vulnerable to tie hands to.