Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Making the right play when u know u'll lose the hand? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=253682)

Balla2hot4u 05-16-2005 11:57 PM

Making the right play when u know u\'ll lose the hand?

Just curious that if statistically the right play is to call but you are almost certain you will lose the hand, do u still call? And why?

Niediam 05-17-2005 12:17 AM

Re: Making the right play when u know u\'ll lose the hand?

If you are going to lose to lose the hand then the statistically right play is to fold.

KneeCo 05-17-2005 12:26 AM

Are you talking about a draw with pot odds situation or something else?
Could you maybe clarify with an example?

poker-penguin 05-17-2005 12:33 AM

If you're 90% certain you're going to lose the hand, but there's 12 bb in the pot, then it's right to call.

Is that what you mean?

treeofwisdom7 05-17-2005 02:54 AM

what he means is if you have ESP and you know you will lose the hand even tho the odds favor you. should you call anyway..

A- no take up sport betting or stock market trading..

moot 05-17-2005 03:21 AM

The statistically right play is to call when you are statistically right to do so.

Otherwise don't.

I really do not understand this question...

I mean, you can be 95% to lose a million dollar pot but if it only costs you a dollar to take a shot you'd be a fool to fold, even though you're likely to lose. Likewise, you'd be a fool to pay 1 billion dollars to take a shot at a million dollar pot, even if you're 95% to win.

Pick up a copy of Smalls Stakes Hold 'Em or Theory of Poker or something and read the section on pot odds (and implied odds).

NYCNative 05-17-2005 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, you can be 95% to lose a million dollar pot but if it only costs you a dollar to take a shot you'd be a fool to fold, even though you're likely to lose. Likewise, you'd be a fool to pay 1 billion dollars to take a shot at a million dollar pot, even if you're 95% to win.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes. I think this answers his question.

Balla2hot4u 05-18-2005 12:14 PM

yes this answers my question that if u are getting the right pot odds to call but at least 90% sure you'll lose do u still call?

LockLow34 05-18-2005 01:16 PM

This reminds me of the Billionth Hand contest that Stars was running a few months back. Fifty grand to the winner of the hand. Table was 1/2NL I think. After they knew they were the Billionth Hand, knowing $50,000 was in the pot for the winner, 2 people STILL folded out. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

TylerK 05-18-2005 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes this answers my question that if u are getting the right pot odds to call but at least 90% sure you'll lose do u still call?

[/ QUOTE ]

If that answers your question, why are you asking the same question again?