Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   PTO autorate poll (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=248974)

L0QTiS 05-09-2005 09:57 PM

PTO autorate poll

I'm curious as to how many are actually using my ruleset from this 2+2 post :

Alchemist 05-20-2005 10:43 AM

Re: PTO autorate poll

I tried importing your rules but I must have done something wrong. When I go to import the file, it says that it imported successfully but all the fields remain blank. Any ideas?

toots 05-20-2005 10:47 AM

I had the same problem at first. Then, I compared rules I'd exported to the rules I got here, and noticed that the formatting had been changed due to posting on the board. So, I edited his rules so that the formatting matched, and everything worked fine since.

Edit: I think the issue is that some of the things that come out as spaces when you cut/paste from the board really want to be tabs instead.

Ironman 05-20-2005 11:24 AM

L0QTiS,

I have been using your rules. Have you modified any of your criteria recently?

As I get more and more data, I find there is some overlap in terms of people that are hard to fit into a category...for example (good player, tight aggressive, "money bags"...)

I'm starting to think that there isn't much difference at this point with a lot of these characterizations.

Does a fish act that much different than a calling station?

Have you given this any thought recently?

Thanks,
Dave

L0QTiS 05-21-2005 11:36 PM

If anyone is interested in this ruleset and having trouble with formatting, please PM me with your email address and I'll send it as an attachment.

As of yet, I have not updated the set from it's original form. I never actually defined a "calling station" but I agree, there is quite a bit of overlap with many of my established characterizations.

To be honest, my goal for this set was simply to get things started given the lack of anyting else at the time. I am open to suggestions. By all means, take this as a springboard for better rulesets, and I encourage you all to publish your sets and commentary.

muse21 05-27-2005 07:20 PM

A couple of comments:

I was using the default rules.

1) I went from a Mouse to a "Good Player", so that's good...

2) Where did all the fish go? Many of the "Dice" turned to fish, but many of the actuall fish turned to other things. For example, the biggest loser at my site, the guy I follow around, is now an elephant (Loose/fair). Over a thousand hands he has consistantly lost 10 per 100. He's a fish.

3) Aggression has to be a factor.

I am fairly new to the program, so this is all I have to offer so far. I hope my input is worthwile.

Wintermute 05-27-2005 08:42 PM

IMO, if you're a PL player, the autorate is useless. My reasoning is that I have stats showing winning players with VPIP/PFR's of as high as 65/20 and low as 16/0. I also have stats showing losing players with virtually identical stats. Thus is seems that autorate isn't a useful crutch. I basically use winrate, VPIP, and PFR as my indicators, and those are just exported to notes so I can scoll over a given opponent to get a rough idea of the type of action I should expect from them. Another key indicator is Chk-raise%. Over 1% is a tricky player, under 1% is a guy who can always be bluffed when he checks to you and you're in position.

grandgnu 05-27-2005 11:06 PM

The only issue I have is this:

What about when you're playing a full-ring game and everyone winds up checking it down to the river, and then you lose. It comes out as a "loss" in your stats, although it's impact on you financially and play-wise isn't realistically that bad for you.

But it winds up hurting your stats as much as any other "loss". Then again, I have less than 1,000 hands in PTO because I haven't had the chance to purchase the license. So hopefully that will change over time.

I started with $75 and I'm up to $270 within a weeks time playing lower limits, although did some 1/2 and 2/4 because of some other things going on (you'd need to check out my post about my sessions in these games)

But anyway, PTO with your rules is showing me as "loose/bad", because I've got:

VPIP: 22.98
Won$aSD: 51.09

L0QTiS 05-28-2005 12:21 PM

Folks,

I'm not going to defend my ruleset because it obviously has flaws. Again, for the record, this set was established mainly as a quick way to evaluate my opponents tendencies, and not as an end-all be-all system for determing a winning player. So please don't take how you rate within the confines of this set too seriously.

I've seen plenty of players capable of being relatively successfull playing quite loose, and vice versa. I think we need to abandon the holdem autorate rule mindset for PTO because there seems to be a wider range of winning players. This ruleset was developed for LIMIT exclusively. It has been discussed in prior threads that this set does not work well with Pot Limit so please keep this in mind.

To be honest, I have not put much thought into a more complex ruleset. Quite frankly, I'm suprised nobody else has developed anything else they would be willing to share with the group. That said, I hereby openly challenge the anyone to come up with something better and publish it for us (which was part of my reasoning behind this quick ruleset). Feel free to use my rules as a starting point or tear them apart. Either way, I think we benefit from open debate on this.

grandgnu 05-28-2005 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

I'm not going to defend my ruleset because it obviously has flaws. Again, for the record, this set was established mainly as a quick way to evaluate my opponents tendencies, and not as an end-all be-all system for determing a winning player. So please don't take how you rate within the confines of this set too seriously.

I've seen plenty of players capable of being relatively successfull playing quite loose, and vice versa. I think we need to abandon the holdem autorate rule mindset for PTO because there seems to be a wider range of winning players. This ruleset was developed for LIMIT exclusively. It has been discussed in prior threads that this set does not work well with Pot Limit so please keep this in mind.

To be honest, I have not put much thought into a more complex ruleset. Quite frankly, I'm suprised nobody else has developed anything else they would be willing to share with the group. That said, I hereby openly challenge the anyone to come up with something better and publish it for us (which was part of my reasoning behind this quick ruleset). Feel free to use my rules as a starting point or tear them apart. Either way, I think we benefit from open debate on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the work you put into this. I will just have to find some time to tweak the settings and go from there. I've built my starting $75 into $275 in about a weeks time playing limit Omaha hi/lo, so far so good, w00t!