Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Tom DeLay (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=246320)

jaxmike 05-05-2005 03:55 PM

Tom DeLay

Can someone tell me exactly what DeLay did that was wrong, and what laws he broke?

fluxrad 05-05-2005 04:04 PM

Re: Tom DeLay

1. Go to google.com
2. type "delay ethics"
3. hit return.
4. Click the first link it returns.

jaxmike 05-05-2005 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Go to google.com
2. type "delay ethics"
3. hit return.
4. Click the first link it returns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, please tell me what DELAY DID that was wrong and WHAT LAWS HE BROKE.

Felix_Nietsche 05-05-2005 04:35 PM

Congressman and Senators will often take trips paid by 3rd parties. One advantge of these trips is the tax payers do not have to foot the bill. Anyway, the 3rd parties paying for the trips can *NOT* be lobbyist because in theory some politicians could grant favors to these lobbyist when writing bills and voting for bills. Delay is accused of not paying for 100% of his trip to Russia. One item involved a bar bill which was paid for by a Russian businessman.

The funny part about the whole epsisode is there has been a rush by other politicians to pay back money on trips they have taken previously. Republican leaders suggested perhaps they should investigate some Democrat leaders and they are scurrying to "pay back" any money "owed" to lobbyist.

Bush supports DeLay 100% and I think DeLay will get a slap on the wrist. I use to be in procurement and vendors would often take me out to lunch, dinner, basketball games etc... I NEVER let this affect my decision for many reasons. One it would be unethical and two because I would look like a Jack-a$$ going to my superiors asking then to let me change vendors to a new vendor which cost more and who was unproven. But when vendors took me out to lunch I did give them two things:
1. My time (most vendors you blow off because you have deadlines to meet).
2. I gave them the str8 scoop what they were up against. This included how effective our current vendor was and whether their bid was higher/lower(you not allowed to talk specific numbers). If my current vendor had good prices and great service then it was virtually impossible to justify a new vendor... If this was the case, I told the vendor only with a very low price would my mgmt consider a new unproven vendor and then it would be small quantities to view their performance.

I suppose there are politicians who will sell out their voters for a free vacation but I don't think Tom DeLay is one of them.

BCPVP 05-05-2005 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in theory some politicians could grant favors to these lobbyist when writing bills and voting for bills.

[/ QUOTE ]
This happens anyway! Lobbyists exist for this reason.

Broken Glass Can 05-05-2005 05:52 PM

DeLay has done what just about all congressmen have done, travel, speak, raise money, and try to keep clean according to the rules.

DeLay is targeted because he is an effective leader in the House. No other reason. Compared to the ethics of Pelosi, Hillary, or Reid, he is squeaky clean. You can Google them and you will find this is so.

BCPVP 05-05-2005 06:17 PM

I'm starting to wonder if the attack on DeLay is payback for Daschle...

Broken Glass Can 05-05-2005 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to wonder if the attack on DeLay is payback for Daschle...

[/ QUOTE ]

Beating someone in an election is different than smearing someone, especially when they smear him over things that all congressmen could be attacked on.

BCPVP 05-05-2005 07:40 PM

The Dems are trying to set the stage to beat him. Soften him up via character assassination.

What I meant was that I think the Dems are targeting DeLay because he is a high-profile GOP leader and they're still angry about Daschle. I wasn't trying to equate the two. Sorry bout the confusion.

jokerswild 05-06-2005 01:28 AM

He's paid his wife and daughter 500k from his pacs. Bush boot lickers like Vulturesrow will say every pol does that. That simply isn't true. If you want Mr.Delay to support a piece of legislation then pay his pac 100k. He will then pay his wife, and vote your way.

He's a crook. It's very evident.